Spearment seeds

usschicago1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Anyone have any spearmint seeds for sale? Id like to Plant some around my coop and my window-sill. Ill pay for them of course :)
Also if you have any peppermint too ill take a seed or two of that !
Hope someone has it :/
Mark
P.S.
I want Real Spearmint according to a lot of online sits the ones at stores are crosses....i like the really old fashioned spearmint plant.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The only way I know to get any kind of mint is from getting chunks off it off of other plants. I've never seen seeds for them.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AFAIK the best spearmint, peppermint and 'other' mints DO NOT come true from seed and in fact many are sterile and don't produce seed in the first place.

So while you can obtain 'some sort of' mint seed, it may well not have the fragrance you are looking for. Much better to get it as a division from someone who has some whose fragrance you like -- pretty much anyone with mint is usually HAPPY to get rid of some of it, LOL

It propagates pretty well from root sections, too -- if I were in the USA (with no cross-border regulations involved) I would just mail you a coupla big chunks of root, packed in damp sawdust; but alas I am on the wrong side of the border for ya.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You can buy like, 7 flavors of mint from an FS store--apple mint, chocolate mint, pineapple mint, the list goes ON-- and plant that in the ground. It WILL spread--we've had a couple of running threads with mint fans and mint haters, here--OR you can grow it in a pot, and move that inside during the winter--are you FROM Chicago?!?(EDIT:) sorry--it WILL grow in Massachusetts--didn't look to see...I live in Central Illinois and I have a patch with spearment and peppermint, and another patch with chocolate mint. I'm a mint-lover, but they are spreading.

usschicago1

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone...No Im not from Chicago :/ My Grandfarther Was on the Ship Uss Chicago In the Navy and Im proud of that name...

So basically it sounds like even if someone had seeds i should get a root section...
I Guess ill keep having to look at stores for plants since i dont know anyone with it!
Thanks alot everyone for the great information!
Mark

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I got spearmint and chocolate mint as plants,but I have seen seed listed at bountiful gardens.Could give them a try,but best bet is plants.Maybe you could try rooting some mint that is sold at the grocery store.I have seen some sold with the stalk,and some herbs are even sold potted!

And boy does the mint spread like a weed.Smells nice when mowed,but lots of work controlling it in beds.

the4heathernsmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I bought one plant last year and I now have a whole bed of it about 5' wide 10' long......just invest in one plant and give it a year.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I grew spearmint and peppermint from seed last year. They were slow starting but have come back this year. I'll have to do a taste test to see if they taste like what they say they are. On the other hand, I bought one chocolate mint plant and it has filled the same size space.

Latest posts