spent corn stalks???

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So what the best way to dry them? I have never really successfully grown corn before. Not sure this time was successful either but we did pick 15 ears yesterday. :D Do you just let them stand until they are good and brown?

I have to tell you my kids were in heaven. We shucked the ears out in the yard last night. My 5 yo was so excited. She peeled back the husk on a ear and was in awe. I think her exact words were "look how beautiful it is, it's perfect". My son said it was like opening birthday presents. I laughed and told him that was great. Now I know what to get him for his next birthday. :p

This is what growing a family garden is all about. :love

g

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
This is what growing a family garden is all about.g
It sure is. I just love to work in the garden with the grands.

If you can find a way to grind the stalks up into tiny pieces it makes wonderful organic mater for the garden soil. Have you ever watched a combine in the fields? One chute is for the corn to go into a truck and then the combine grinds up the stalks and spits out the fines onto the field. A home owner's chipper/shredder will work very well.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I plan on using the spent cornstalk and sunflower stalks to start the bottom of the new compost bins. As compost bins need drainage, and those would be great for that purpose. But, I have been doing compost now since 1990...I have the most fun with it too. I am currently teaching fiance all about composting. He is from West Virginia, a farm boy..but, I guess not too exposed to composting. I used to use it as science projects when my 3 kids were young too.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am the worst computer ever. Maybe I could try again.

Thanks, g

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I am the worst computer ever. Maybe I could try again.

Thanks, g
I belive you meant the worst composter ever. The worst computer ever is the one I'm using to post this. :gig

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Your right hoodat, a typo. Sometimes I post from my phone. It has a mind of its own.

G

GardenWeasel

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If you don't sell them all on CL. I take all my sunflower, spent cornstalks and other woody stems and make a pile where I plan to grow root crops next year. Let them dry out and burn them and spread the ashes. I found an article about this the year I planted 300 sunflowers that I would make a fortune selling, not. It was sad cause I didn't even have the chickens yet. Sure was pretty though.