Spent raspberry canes and chickens?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have been cutting my spent bramble (raspberry) canes today, I was wondering does anyone give these to the chickens? At first I thought they would really enjoy picking at the few fruits left on the canes and the fleshy left over centers, but then I wondered if the thorns would hurt them, either in trying to eat them, or scratching and cutting their feet or pricking their feet causing bumble foot?

Anyone have any experience w/ this?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I try to avoid anything with prickers. I did bumblefoot surgery once, and I hope not to do it again! If you want to take the time to pick off fruit and leaves, I am sure they would appreciate it-or just find some dandelions, they are not too picky!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No I have a rather large stack, so to the compost pile it goes, I also do not want to have to treat bumble foot! Especially since they already got their Sund treat, the roaches I grow for them.

berry_Bob

Leafing Out
Reaction score
place in bundles and hang so they can't scratch on them

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
I have been cutting my spent bramble (raspberry) canes today, I was wondering does anyone give these to the chickens? At first I thought they would really enjoy picking at the few fruits left on the canes and the fleshy left over centers, but then I wondered if the thorns would hurt them, either in trying to eat them, or scratching and cutting their feet or pricking their feet causing bumble foot?

Kassaundra - forgive me if this is hijacking your thread but I have to ask . . . do you always cut back your raspberry plants? We have tons of them surrounding our property way in the "back 40" and I never have cut them back at all. Is this a good practice for yield or is it mostly to contain the overgrowth? Please tell me more - we love our wild raspberries sooooo much! Just last night when I came in with a pan of berries I mentioned to DW that we need to learn how to care for our wild friends back there. I guess I should have started a new discussion thread for this.

berry_Bob

Leafing Out
Reaction score
after the canes produce they die so yes cut them off

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cut mine back too, in the fall, all the way to the ground. Also prune out the spindly ones so more energy goes to the bigger canes. I never thought of giving the leaves to the chickens...but it makes sense, since raspberry leaf tea is so good for you!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smiles said:
Kassaundra said:

Kassaundra - forgive me if this is hijacking your thread but I have to ask . . . do you always cut back your raspberry plants? We have tons of them surrounding our property way in the "back 40" and I never have cut them back at all. Is this a good practice for yield or is it mostly to contain the overgrowth? Please tell me more - we love our wild raspberries sooooo much! Just last night when I came in with a pan of berries I mentioned to DW that we need to learn how to care for our wild friends back there. I guess I should have started a new discussion thread for this.
The cane dies after it bears (for most types anyway) but the reason to cut them back (I do it right after harvest is complete) is to keep the plant from wasting any energy on the spent canes, and to allow for greater air circulation, I have always been told if they aren't thinned out they are more suseptable to fungus and disease.

And no worries about any "hijacking" :D

Latest posts