Splitting Perennials At Root Ball

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm wondering if its ok that I do this now? I have some HUGE plants I would like to split up for a friend of mine. She's had some bad luck with her seedlings after she worked all winter on them... got a few in the ground and some squirrels and bugs basically destroyed anything she had left.

I'm not giving her any new plants, they are too young.... but I have a few that have tripled in size from last year. They were probably a good year old when I got them anyways.

Is now a good time of year to split them at the root ball and what is the best way to do this with little damage?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am guessing that if you have plants that have tripled in size since last year- it would be fine to split them now. You are in a much warmer area than I am- but spring and fall are both considered fine times for dividing. If the plants are really sturdy like daylilie's or iris's you can divide them anytime and not kill them. You might not get a bloom the first year- but they will thrive the second. Generally speaking, perennials are not too delicate...
What kinds of plants are you thinking of sharing? I have transplanted all kinds of perennials, just by taking a shovel full and carrying it home in a bucket! If you water well when you replant, they will be fine...

Latest posts