spoiled rotten brat - tomato rant

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I totally get that the WHOLE purpose behind canning tomatoes is to EAT THEM... But I gotta say that it TOTALLY got under my skign to come home today and find that the pint of tomatoes that I had left in the fridge is half gone.
I haven't even had any yet!!!
My roommate comes in the kitchen and in the middle of a 'here's what I did today, boy it really rained earlier, can you take me to the store tomorrow evening, blah blah blah she says "Hey those tomatoes you canned are good" and wanders back to her room.
Now maybe if she ever lifted so much as a pinky to help with the yard work it wouldn't bother me so much. But she only steps out the door to get to the truck or to the mailbox. Who planted them? Who tended them? Who picked them? Who canned them? I guess I'm just ticked because I wanted to taste them first.... Which makes me a whiney brat....
But GEEZE it's got me ticked off...
:rant :somad :rant

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the story of the Little Red Hen, who asked for help to plant the wheat, help to cut the wheat, carry it to the mill, make the bread and then all the other animals wanted to help........help her EAT her bread!

But your room mate nailed your tomatoes before you did. :somad You are totally right and she was totally inconsiderate and wrong. :rant

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My now 6 year old grandson, along with the 2 1/2 year old grandson were doing the tomato hunt for the first red tomato. "Here's one, Grandma." he said standing up with it's juices dripping down his chin. I told him I was supposed to eat the first one! "Well here's another one," he said. Yes, again, with more juices dripping down his chin. I did find one and of course gave it to his brother,. I did not really mind. I am still starving for the taste of the still warm from the sun tomato. I guess I need to go out before they come over.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know what you mean Cane. Dew was nice enough to go out and pick a bag of beans for her mother. But no, she didn't want those beans. She wants the ones we canned up with ham and potatoes. Uh, I'm sorry, go buy a small ham and bag of white potatoes, give me $1.50 deposit for the jar and ring, and maybe we'll can up a few quarts for you. She is the type that wants everything given to her. Heck, I wouldn't even get my jars back if I didn't charge a deposit. I really hate demanding, ungrateful people.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will offer my mother the fresh, washed and SNAPPED beans I picked for her if she refuses them, I will take them to my daddy. He will appreciate them

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Boy do I know the feeling. You are NOT a brat. Last year my DIL sat with my DH and chose all these great things she wanted from the garden catalogs. But when the seed came she was not there to help plant, nor was she around to weed, harvest can or freeze. Of course she was more than happy to come get what we handed out. Oh except for a large bag of green beans she took home, set aside and let mold! Guess it was too much work to snap them and put them in the fridge until eaten. :somad What a waste.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the support yall. In truth, it's probably much more an issue of our relationship than it is about tomatoes. :rolleyes: If it had been just about anyone else I probably would've been flattered that they liked them.
I'll be planning something really good for dinner Friday so I can use up the rest of that jar though!!