Spray-n-Grow

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, certainly foliar fertilizers and generalized micronutrient type fertilizers can be useful. (especially if you are growing in impoverished or commercially-obtained soil, or soil that has not recieved a lot of compost or other organic matter).

This is hardly the only brand of commercial foliar spray, though, and it is hardly necessary to use a commercial one if you would prefer to save your pennies for other uses. Manure tea works good, and I've seen other recipes for homemade foliar feeds with micronutrients, too.

I couldn't find a list of ingredients/sources nor a full analysis list on the website, maybe I just missed it.

I dunno, I wouldn't use it, but you could if you want.

(e.t.a. - ignore ALL photos from ANYbody trying to sell you plants, fertilizers, or anything related to either of 'em. Really. ;))

Pat

Lunachick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Pat. I'm ordering seeds, so I'll think I'll save some $$ and skip the Spray stuff this time.

I'll just have to work a little harder in gettin my soil up to par. :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey I just noticed you say you are from the Jersey Shore. SEAWEED is usually a good source of trace elements. Just go snag a bagful of it when it washes up on the beach -- I certainly remember throwing lots of it at my sister when we were kids and used to go down to Ocean City and Island Beach State Park, I *assume* it hasn't all been killed off by pollution -- and bury it in your soil with other compost. Ta da. There may very well be some way to make a foliar spray with it too, you could try googling or maybe someone here will know.

Missing going 'down the shore',

Pat, grew up just outside Philly :)

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Pat....

You are sooo interesting and come up woth some really natural ways to garden.

You said seaweed.... Well, Im close to Jax Beach, and to think why I have never thought of that!

Why can't you just boil it???.. Like you would tea or soup???..

I know my mom (she is now deceased) when she makes soup... puts in seaweed and boils it. (I am half Japanese, so, eat seaweed (nori), all the time).
She would make bows or some other fancy knot into them, and
boy were they good.

I just never thought to do it for the garden. Boil it, let it cool, then pour seaweed and all, right into the garden.

From now on, when I go to the beach collecting seashells, im going to bring a bag for seaweed, and compost it.

In fact, esp since I have to mainly container garden this year, I will make it a point to feed them seaweed tea!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A quick cursory google turned up a few places with discussion of how to process seaweed to make foliar sprays (and other uses for seaweed)

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0812055214571.html
http://www.tweedrichmond.organicproducers.org.au/library/pestmgmt/homespry.htm
http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14528

There are undoubtedly better sources of info out there as well, this is just what I turned up in three or four minutes :p

Have fun,

Pat, duly jealous of anyone living near the ocean, which I haven't even SEEN in probably 8 years, sigh!

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use Spray-n-Grow and think it helps my plants grow bigger and stronger.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
There are several products on the market that use kelp extracts to promote growth. It's part of what makes kelp plants grow so much so fast in the ocean. If you have access to free stuff on the beach i say go for it. I think chopping it up and composting it everything else you compost would be excellent!:thumbsup

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I recently saw one I wanted to get... it was like srapyable worm poo or something. Came in a recycled soda bottle! Cute marketing gimmick... I'm probably going to try it! :p

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
I recently saw one I wanted to get... it was like srapyable worm poo or something. Came in a recycled soda bottle! Cute marketing gimmick... I'm probably going to try it! :p
Don't do it! It's a rip off - I tried it and then I read this article http://www.motherearthnews.com/Orga...uild-Better-Soil-Free-Organic-Fertilizer.aspx
It compares the different nitrogen levels in fertilizer. Pure worm poo I'm a fan of! It's the added water and packaging I don't want to pay for.

By the way - I use spray-n-grow. It works and you use a tiny, tiny amount each time so a bottle last forever.

Latest posts