Spring Flowers

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Love the pics! I'm a little sad that I won't be able to have a true shade garden here. That's what you get by building your house in the middle of a field, I guess. The back of the house faces north, but it gets sun from about 4 on in the summer, which is probably enough to roast shade lovers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love the pics! I'm a little sad that I won't be able to have a true shade garden here. That's what you get by building your house in the middle of a field, I guess. The back of the house faces north, but it gets sun from about 4 on in the summer, which is probably enough to roast shade lovers.

We can help you with that, Kate!

Sure, all vines do fairly well with a little shade - it seems to me. Beans can take a lot of sun and a little shade.

Some nice Scarlet Runners, I've never grown Purple Hyacinth, it might be a good choice too. Build a trellis perpendicular to your house wall on the west side of your shade garden, north side of your house. The plants in that bed will only receive morning sun with the afternoon shade from the runner beans.

See, wasn't that simple?

Steve :)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beautiful pictures folks.

I like shade gardens as Red said they can offer color when other perennials are not in color. You can get a lot of color out of just coral bells & hostas to anchor a bed and tide things over till the next set of blooms go up.

I find shade gardens to be be very peaceful. There's something about the sunlight poking through the leaves, the soft, cool bare ground, the earthy smell, it's very calming.