Sprouting Alfalfa Seeds & Broccoli Seeds for Yummy Sprouts

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm combining two hobbies this week!

I've designed and 3D printed strainers / sieves for wide-mouth mason jars to sprout Alfalfa & Broccoli seedlings.

This has the "feet" and strainer together so I can simply put a lid on and drain the seeds.

1695686403094.png

I have another version where the legs and the strainer sizes are separate.

Alfalfa Seeds Broccoli sprouts.jpg

My mom used to sprout alfalfa all the time for salads. I don't think I've done it since I was a little kid, so this should be fun. I've also never tried broccoli sprouts, but since we really like broccoli, I figure it's worth a try!

Also, my mom would move from a tiny-hole screen to a larger one. My guess is that she did that to filter out the husks once the sprouts were bigger?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm combining two hobbies this week!

I've designed and 3D printed strainers / sieves for wide-mouth mason jars to sprout Alfalfa & Broccoli seedlings.

This has the "feet" and strainer together so I can simply put a lid on and drain the seeds.

View attachment 60875

I have another version where the legs and the strainer sizes are separate.

View attachment 60876

My mom used to sprout alfalfa all the time for salads. I don't think I've done it since I was a little kid, so this should be fun. I've also never tried broccoli sprouts, but since we really like broccoli, I figure it's worth a try!

Also, my mom would move from a tiny-hole screen to a larger one. My guess is that she did that to filter out the husks once the sprouts were bigger?
That's wicked cool! Good job! I grow sprouts year around and use the delicious mix of broccoli , radish, clover, and alfalfa sprouts. I use the screens that are in the shape of a dome so you can set the sprouting jars upside down while they are growing so that they can drain properly.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
That's wicked cool! Good job! I grow sprouts year around and use the delicious mix of broccoli , radish, clover, and alfalfa sprouts. I use the screens that are in the shape of a dome so you can set the sprouting jars upside down while they are growing so that they can drain properly.
If we like the broccoli and alfalfa, we'll def. try a mix next!

You designed and 3D printed those strainers? I am impressed! What a great idea!
Ahh... thank you!!! It was a fun project that forced me to learn some new design skills.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Has anybody calculated the best cost for using cool weather crop seeds for sprouts?
Should you use the remainer of this year's broccoli seeds, for example, or 3yo bean seeds?
It seems like seed companies are repackaging, maybe? charging more bc it's popular.
Does anybody know?

Latest posts