Sprouts! Anyone ever tried growing these!?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
These are an awesome mix of alfalfa, radish, broccoli, and clover. I make them year around! SO GOOD!!!
IMG_20201022_162844732_HDR_480x640.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't grown sprouts, since I've never eaten them other than in Chinese restaurants. But I suppose I should try some, since I I grow adzuki beans, and both green & black gram. Those look appealing. I wonder about the hard seed coats though - is there a process to remove them?

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
We sprout mostly alfalfa with sometimes a bit of radish as well. After the sprouts are as big as we want them, then when they're rinsed off a lot of the seed husks will float to the top and then they can be poured out with the rinse water. Some of the seed husks float, so those are floated out. Then we take the sprouts out with tongs or chopsticks and then the rest of the seed husks will be at the bottom of the jar. Between getting the ones at the top and the ones at the bottom, there aren't that many seed husks left.

We put them in sandwiches, in salads, on tacos, in rollups (a sandwich made using a tortilla instead of bread) and pretty much anywhere you'd use lettuce.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So when you grow those sprouts, are the seeds completely immersed, or just moistened?
When I first start a batch of sprouts, I soak the seeds overnight. After that I rinse mine once daily until they are ready to eat. It's super easy, but I definitely recommend using the glass jars with the stainless steel screen lids.

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
You can also take a bit of muslin or gauze and put that over the jar and screw on a regular jar ring or a rubber band to hold it in place. The metal ring will rust after awhile, although I suppose if it were waxed, it would last a bit longer before rusting. The screen/muslin/gauze is just to make it easier to pour the water off without losing the seeds.

I put the seeds in water and soak for a few hours or overnight, then dump the water out. They get rinsed in the morning while making coffee and at night before going to bed. Again, the water is poured off leaving the seeds very moist. The seeds stay moist and I try to get them to spread out along the sides of the jar, but it's not an exact thing and the seeds aren't terribly fussy.

We set them in a windowsill so they can get some sun, but the window doesn't get direct sun.

Latest posts