Sprouty garlic

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My garlic is getting sprouty, but I can't bring myself to just throw it away. I split the cloves open & pull out the sprout & eat the rest. Does the sprout taste bad, or can I just smush all of it up & use it? Is there any way to make it store longer than 6 months? I cured them, and then stored them in my dark pantry, but still got sprouts.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can use the sprouts too. They taste similar, it's just green. That is, if you wanted a nice white cream sauce, you'll have to settle for a nice light green cream sauce.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
To me the sprouty part tastes kind of bitter, and once it appears the whole rest of the clove is no longer as tasty as it once was either. It's still *edible* of course.

One thing you can do is pot up a few for the windowsill to snip garlic greens from, use as you would use chives or fine slivers of green onions.

It won't store forever without sprouting. I usually, when faced with a bunch of garlic starting to open and get green tips, roast it all and then freeze the roasted garlic paste.

Have fun,

Pat

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I plant my sprouty garlic bulbs. I grow garlic all year here.. I have Garlic Chives that bloom most of the spring and summer. When the plants start to form flower heads, the flowers are great in salads., or as a garnish on many dishes.

valmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
How do you get your garlic bulbs to sprout? Mine just dry out and get brown if I store them too long. I like the idea of potting some up and using the greens like chives. If I put the cloves somewhere damper will they sprout?

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
valmom said:
How do you get your garlic bulbs to sprout? Mine just dry out and get brown if I store them too long. I like the idea of potting some up and using the greens like chives. If I put the cloves somewhere damper will they sprout?
You might try buying some garlic from a different source.

I have had some that just goes "bad" and never sprouts too.

I wonder if... it has been Irradiated when it does that? Most of the time mine sprouts rather quickly in the summertime, but much slower in the winter. Maybe temperature has something to do with it.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
im in border zone 9 (like a 20 min drive and i am in zone 8 :/ ) I bet with a little love I could plant all year too.

Latest posts