Square foot gardening question

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello.

Can someone that is familar with square foot planter gardening tell me how many lettuce I should put per square. I am thinking of planting batavan, butterhead or crunch. I know iceburg takes up more space and If I plant some of that it will be very little. Anyone have any experience with lettuce? Maybe some leaf varieties.

Thanks so much. I did read about spacing put the plantings to fit your weekly use, so I just built another 3x8 box for the lettuce.

Thanks so much, except for drilling into my index finger I did okay.

Thanks allot guys and ladies.

Dilly

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found it. In case anyone is curious it is four per square foot.

Dilly

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
FWIW, I would strongly suggest planting little if any iceberg -- it just is not easy to grow acceptably-well in the home garden. Whereas leaf lettuce is easy as pie. If you want to try something other than different varieties of leaf lettuce, consider buttercrunch e.g. Tom Thumb (do I have that name right? too lazy to doublechcke) or one of the more compact types of romaine (cos).

Pat

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Pat, I do not really eat much iceburg anyway. I will stick to the leaf and buttercrunch.

Thanks

Spotted Crow

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just bought a book on this...
With the price of food going up, I so want to have a larger garden than usual this summer.

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So far I am loving it. Allot of fun as well as beneficial.

Latest posts