Square foot gardening

riverman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The deeper the better I say. You can grow some things (vibrantly) in 6 inches of loose topsoil but I recommend @ least a foot of loose topsoil for the main root to really have some runnin room. Raised beds help a lot with this, especially when you have minimum soil and a lot of rock on your land.

WIth my experience the more loose humusy top soil there is the bigger and more lush the plants become.

Hope this helps.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
riverman said:
The deeper the better I say. You can grow some things (vibrantly) in 6 inches of loose topsoil but I recommend @ least a foot of loose topsoil for the main root to really have some runnin room. Raised beds help a lot with this, especially when you have minimum soil and a lot of rock on your land.

WIth my experience the more loose humusy top soil there is the bigger and more lush the plants become.

Hope this helps.
Agrred!

:welcome

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think mels book says 6 but I agree with the deeper the better. Some plants just need that much like tomatoes. a small root system is going to make them more susceptible to drying out. while a larger root system will give larger plants.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I agree on more than 6" too. Really, you can't grow a root crop well in less than a foot of soil. And the others all benefit from a deeper soil bed too.

lorihadams

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ours our 10 inches deep but my parents' are 18-24 inches deep cause they can't get down on their knees to garden anymore. We got some old tree pots that are huge from a landscaping company that was going to toss them anyway and we are growing our carrots in there.

Latest posts