Squash identification??

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello all. I have this squash growing that I planted from seed. I received the seeds from Baker Creek and I believe they were in a mixed squash pack. I can visualize the picture but can't recall the name. I have looked over the past two catalogues and can't seem to find it.

Do you know the name? How young should it be picked? Any help would be great.

Thanks, Gina

5900_img_1864.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am of no use, I'm still new to squash and trying whatever I can right now... starting with the run of the mill squashes. :/

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never heard or seen one of those Cushaw's before..It looks like they can grow to a pretty significant size!

I have never tried eating an immature squash before. Do they lack flavor?

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Honestly I picked them young because I thought they needed to be tender. I have not eaten them yet. Maybe I will shred and donate these picked ones to my chickens.

They are doing amazingly well. I also have the White Lebanese squash from Bakers Creek seeds. Looks like I need to figure out some method of cooking and storing. It is a very abundant producer.

g

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I needed to revive this post because I have more questions. I have many of these squash now almost at full maturity. They are turning a golden tan like my butternut. I guess my question is that for regular pumpkins you pick when the vines die? Should maybe I do the same for the Cushaw squash?

I will get some pictures later for you all to see. Maybe this will help. :idunno

g

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I needed to revive this post because I have more questions. I have many of these squash now almost at full maturity. They are turning a golden tan like my butternut. I guess my question is that for regular pumpkins you pick when the vines die? Should maybe I do the same for the Cushaw squash?

I will get some pictures later for you all to see. Maybe this will help. :idunno

g
I don't know for sure, since I'm not an expert. But my guess for most any winter squash would be to leave it as long as possible or the vines start to die off unless the squash was damaged or starting to rot-then pick it right away.

Although I have picked pumpkins before the vine died off and they've continued to ripen & 'cure' afterwards.

Sorry I'm not much help, but if it were me, I'd leave em as long as possible.

Best of luck

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Winter squash will always have a longer storage life if left till the vines die. The vines seem to send one last shot of something or other when they go. Keep an eye out for squash bugs and if any of them show up on the fruit pick them right away.

Latest posts