Squash vine borer

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie here but this subject.... !
I've been losing more and more every year to the squash vine borers. This year EVERYTHING went! Even the 8 years of seed-saving, never been bothered butternut squash was ravaged. NO squash of any kind and very few cukes -all are now dead. Trying to plant more this week hidden away elsewhere in the yard, but it's pretty late in the season.
SO for next year, I'm going into total warfare! What is everyone's suggestions? I'm letting the chickens tear up the area now. What else? Here's what I've found to do. Trying to stay organic due to my health problems, but can't do with out my squash.
1. start under cloth cover until bloom
2. marigolds
3. early planted radish so blooms during attack period
4. bt injections or surgical removal (didn't work before)
5. try swamping the area with basil - this worked this year with the eggplant vs. flea beetles. 4 basil:1 eggplant to cover. Accidental discovery.
6. Handvac??? have a battery hand vac on the garage sale wish list.
7. Sevin dust has been recommended. Last resort?

Ack! Help! Luckily the sweet potatoes seem to be taking over this year so that we'll have something to have over the winter.
PS the other serious bugs are: stinkbug, flea beetle, slug. Birds discovered my glorious peppers. :(

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not so sure about the sevin there is a thread here where somebody had good results with the sevin but then other were like horrified that anyone would use sevin in their soil. I have stayed away from chemical due to laziness and pure cheapness. Let me know if you have good results.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
obsessed - it's the same for me about the Sevin dust. Lots of people dust their dogs with it and declare it a safe cure-all; others just gasp at how horrid it is. Haven't done it yet myself for, honestly, the same reasons as you - too lazy and cheap.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hello Again - I'm NOT using Sevin. Nope.
I've amended the plan of attack for this spring:
- chick tractor over the beds, which are at the other end of the garden from last year - moving the coop between the 4 beds every few days. Its heavily mulched with 3 yr old hay.
1. start indoors in pots, transplant with foil wrapped around stem
2. under cloth cover until bloom (either will cough up the $ for the row fabric or use old sheets)
3. marigolds - started indoors later this month
4. early planted radish so blooms during attack period
5. search and destroy daily the little copper egg clusters
6. try swamping the area with basil - this worked this year with the eggplant vs. flea beetles. 4 basil:1 eggplant to cover. Accidental discovery.
7. Handvac (found for $5 at garage sale)

So, what do you all think? I plan on using the last of my 4 year ongoing OP butternut, zukes, yellow summer, and an assortment of winter squashes. Spagetti squash for the new diabetic. And an assortment of cantalopes and cukes treated the same way, since the borers got 'em last year too.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to try the fabric cloth this year. I mean theoriticaly if the borer can't lay the eggs then we should be good. I might also try the marigolds but I haven't had successful germination with them yet.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey bird, sounds like you mean business!! I was just reading up on the subject and the additional suggestion of rotating crops was mentioned. Also, nasturtiums, beebalm, mint and catnip were mentioned as companion plantings (along with the marigolds and radishes.) I think the problem could be solved if we could get someone to rent out their guinea hens! I always think about how much more efficient they would be, than I am hand picking! Good luck!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Speaking of marigolds, yesterday I "harvested" the seed pods from 2 plants that had abundant flowers last season. I KNOW I'm a newbie, but I was amazed at how many seeds were in each pod. Over 50 seeds in each pod--- must have over 2,000 seeds from just 2 plants!!! :ep Because I let the plants dry out outside I was able to pluck them and put directly into a glass jar for storage. When you consider how much they want for a package of 25 seeds...gee whiz!!!!! :rant Don't think I'll EVER buy marigold seeds again, because I have about 10 packages that I bought end of 2009 season sitting in my drawer NOW. I'm definitely gonna harvest my own from now on. I am planting them amongst my vegetables this year. They're pretty, if nothing else.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks, that is what I say. Even if they don't do anything, they sure look great!! Congrats on the seed harvest. They are amazing reproducers!! Think spring!

Latest posts