Squirrels and Chain link Fencing

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know you need hardware cloth to stop a raccoon from getting to chickens, but do you feel chainlink coverd in chicken wire willn't stop squirrel from getting to fruit? Can repellents be used on food crops?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
An advertisement on the side of my laptop had something on an electronic squirrel repellant. That might be fun. Maybe like a bug zapper!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know you need hardware cloth to stop a raccoon from getting to chickens, but do you feel chainlink coverd in chicken wire willn't stop squirrel from getting to fruit? Can repellents be used on food crops?

the pepper, garlic,peppermint are natural..
mothballs would be my last resort ....heres a link about them. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/naphgen.html

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

Yes, you can use repellents on food crops. All the ones I use are natural and OMRI approved. Since they are quite long lasting when sprayed you could apply it a few months before your fruit was ready. The granulars are applied to the soil and wouldn't matter anyway.
I think mothballs are toxic.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just thought of something...how about a dog in there with your trees? At least part time. Don't you have an ornery little JRT hanging around somewhere you could employ for squirrel removal?

I'm joking, but it's worth a thought....

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago when I was starting out, I had a groomer Dotie, she was from rural south. I had a very wealthy woman dropping off her dog, she was complaining about the raccoons going though her garbage and climbing on her car. Dotie pipes up whens raccoon season here, they are mighty good eating. I don't think I ever saw a more horrified look. The lady said I live in Scarsdale we don't have a raccoon season. Then she whispered to me, she not going to touch my dog, like Dotie might make her dog lunch.

Latest posts