Starting a New Corn, Pumpkin & Watermelon Patch

Jillylam

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi. I'd like to get some help finding out how to convert a field. It's approx an acre and a half that is not used for anything. I would love to grow pumpkins, corn and watermelon for myself and family, and take the rest (if there is any left) to a farmers market or somewhere to sell. I don't have the equipment to till that much area so I was thinking I could find someone to pay to do it. I would need someone with the machinery and experience, and who could help me with whatever soil amendments I might need to add. Or, if there is a no-till way of doing this, do you know how I would do it? Would love suggestions.
Thanks.
Jill

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
we did this last year but I do have access to the machinery and Im not sure how you could do corn without some kind of tilling. Pumpkins and watermelon could be done on a smaller scale in large containers or beds but they all 3 do well together so you wouldnt need a lreal arge area tilled. Your county extension office can help you will soiltesting and it is inexpensive, one thing I know is corn needs lost of nitrogen and should be rotated every other year at least as it takes alot from the soil. Good luck, we didnt do as well as we would have liked to have extras to sell but we knew the soil needed alot of work.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As said before by ams3651, corn would be the only crop requiring tilling and the most nutrients. When you do till just throw in some almost finished compost that will continue to breakdown and feed. Plant them in blocks rather than singular or double rows. Blocks of four and then move from there, they seem to pollinate better that way.

The pumpkins and watermelons would be easier. We planted about 1/4 into a pumpkin/watermelon/melon patch. What we did was every 3 feet for watermelons (we planted moon and stars and icebox) we dug a 2x2 square, tilled down about 2 feet added enough compost to make small hills and planted the seeds directly. For the pumpkins we did the same thing just spaced them every 6 feet or so. We planted 10 watermelons (5 of each) and about 15 pumpkins (we had 3 varieties) and more than enough for us, neighbors and friends.

Spacing would have to be determined by the variety and how vigorous they are but as good rule of them anywhere from 3-6 feet would be okay. The hill method also allows for a drip irrigation system or similar to be easier to set up.

If you are planting any pumpkins or watermelon that you want to get REALLY big and impressive then on one of the leaders from the main stem make sure there is only one fruit producing on it by picking off any flowers or fruits that start to develop, this will help them grow bigger.

Jillylam

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help and ideas. This was just the advice I was hoping for. I got up the nerve to ask my neighbor if he has a tiller. He doesn't but a friend of his has one he can borrow. That'll be a great help for the corn. I told him in exchange he could help himself to whatever grows and he was happy with that. Thank you both again for your help. I really appreciate it!

Latest posts