Starting My Tomato Seeds

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, so for the spring/summer crops I have 17 different varieties to try. These are the varieties:

1) Giant Oxheart - 90 DTM
2) Amish Paste - 80 DTM
3) Neves Azorean Red - 75 DTM
4) San Marzano - 80 DTM
5) Indian Stripe - 85 DTM
6) Cherokee Purple - 80 DTM
7) Cherokee Chocolate - 80 DTM
8) Black Cherry - 65 DTM
9) Isis Candy - 80 DTM
10) Mr Stripey - 80 DTM
11) Black Krim - 75 DTM
12) Hillbilly - 85 DTM
13) Cherry Brandywine - not sure
14) Kellogg's Breakfast - 80 DTM
15) Burracker's Favorite - 80 DTM
16) Cuostralee - 85 DTM
17) Mortgage Lifter - 82 DTM

I had a HARD time limiting myself to the longer DTM tomatoes (I have another 10+ for the summer/fall season). Now I am undecided on how many of each one to plant. Actually, I wonder if I should plant only 2 each of the paste tomatoes or should I plant 3-4 each of the paste? What do ya'll think??

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that's an impressive roster, Broke! :lol: Unless you have a lot of people to give tomatoes to, I would do no more than one or two of each of the slicers. That's 30 plants right there. I put in 30 (of 3 varieties) last year, and I had to throw tomatoes at people as they ran from my house...hehe. I canned a lot and we ate tomatoes daily, but still there were so many.

Now on the paste tomatoes, that all depends... Are you planning to can and/or freeze any? I put up 40 quart jars of pasta sauce, a dozen pints of salsa (not enough!), and 8 quarts of quartered tomatoes in water...all that from 3 bushels of tomatoes (purchased in Ohio, because all I planted were slicers :p). You have a big family right? I have a family of 3. So I would say depending on what you plan to put up for winter, you'd need at least a dozen paste tomato plants, maybe a few more?

I planned a lot better this year for what I want to do with all my tomatoes. Here's my seeds waiting to go into flats here soon...(mostly OP/heirlooms)

Persimmon Tomato - sweet yellow heirloom tomato for my DH
Delicious - planted last year and so far it's my fav red
Giant Belgium - huge, pink
Super Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato - to bait the toddler away from my slicers!
Cherokee Purple and Black Krim - you gave me these in a trade :)
San Marzano - for sauce/paste/cooking
Costoluto Genovese - fluted Italian heirloom for sauce (couldn't decide between the two, so gonna try them both)

You are going to have such a nice variety, you ought to do the farmer's market or do roadside. That will be a beautiful basket full of colorful tomatoes! :love

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
You are going to have such a nice variety, you ought to do the farmer's market or do roadside. That will be a beautiful basket full of colorful tomatoes! :love
See, that's what I was thinking. There are SO MANY tomato varieties that sound so scrumptious that I couldn't make up my mind so I figured I would grow most of the ones I wanted to try and any overages I could do a roadside stand thing. There is a resort just 1.5 miles up the road from me where rich folks from Dallas come for a get-away so I think they will appreciate having the more exotic, organic, homegrown 'maters ;)

You have a nice list going too!

There are 6 of us and I do do a lot of canning. Last year I didn't do ANY paste tomatoes and still managed to put up lots of various tomato items. The hands-down favorite is my pizza sauce altho DH loves the salsa I made from end-season tomatoes and mesquite smoked pablanos.

So you think I should do more paste's than 3-4 each? Hum.......

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ooh, Black Krim is a good one. One of my favorites!

I'd plant a couple of each if you have room for that many. If you get too much fruit, you can always share it with all your friends.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I got them all in peat pellets yesterday. I did 4 of each of the slicers and cherries to make sure I end up with at least 2 each along with 6 of the San Marzano (would have done more if I'd had more seed) and 8 of the Amish Paste. I've had a couple of neighbors request to buy plants from me instead of the local nursery so I did a few extras and ended up starting a total of 78 pellets. I figure whatever I don't need I can find someone who would love to have them :)

Now I am doing my peppers and cucurbits. Is it Spring yet??? My goose laid her first egg day before yesterday so it must be getting close..... :watering

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Funny, BDR. You know if you ask a question like that on this site what kind of answer your gonna get. Plant the larger amount! LOL. Serious I always plant at least 4 together for better cross pollenation. I don't know if it necessary but that's what I tell myself.

The last 2 years I have had a terrible time with Septoria leaf spot. Last year my roma's were the size of cherry tomatoes and I swore this year I was only planting 1 type of tomato like an early girl or something. Got my seed order a month ago. Here it is...

1. Roma's (I am only growing them to give away...)
2. Super Itialian Paste *
3. Amish Paste *
4. Yellow pear *
5. Rutgers
6. Mountain Princess *
7. Hungarian Heart *
8. Marglobe
9. Moneymaker * (this was a free gift from the seed company)

The problem is that I also swore I was only going to plant 3 rows instead of 6. How can I plant 4-6 each of 8 types in 3 rows? My rows hold 9 plants.

Latest posts