Starting Potatoes

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When I was at our local farmers market last Sat, I was talking to one of the farmers about potatoes. I asked if I needed to plant in the fall and he said that where we live (zone 10) we can grow pots all year! Yay!!

So I asked about seed potatoes and he laughed and told me that was completely unnecessary, he told me to cut my pots into 1-2 inch chunks (can't remember) and dip them in gypsum and let the cure for two weeks, then plant.

I just wanted to share because I have heard potatoes mentioned on here several times and thought this little tidbit might be helpful to someone....now to find a spot to plant them! I am thinking of building a raised area that is deep enough that I can just keep adding soil to as they grow. Can anyone tell me how deep it would need to be as well as the best soil mixture? i usually use a compost mixed with chicken and steer manure.

sht4luck

Leafing Out
Reaction score
if your soil is loose and good than 6-9" deep on 9" centers, when using staggard spacing. good tip for starting them.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ok, so the minimum 9" but don't I have to keep hilling up? Or is the 9: at the 'hilled up' height?

My soil is pretty hard and rocky, so I will be using mostly compost & amendments, so any advice would be very much appreciated!

sht4luck

Leafing Out
Reaction score
if your soil is hard than they might pop up. you can just keep adding compost or what ever on top to keep them coverd from the sun. i happen to have sandy soil so i'm not quite sure what will happen. if you get down about 8-12" then try to use a garn fork to loosen the soil down low, it would help. don't forget to add compost though or your ground might hold water too much. again i am not that sure with your soil...sorry. You could try to sheet compost method keep adding material to it. good luck.:)

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you I appreciate the help!
By the way, I cracked up when I looked at your user name...very funny!

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is the first time I have done potatoes and I used the hay method. I did till my soil but did not trench it. I put the pots right on the ground then "hilled" up the rows with layers of soil/compost mix and hay alternately. So far they are growing well. I keep adding hay and soil as they pots grow and get taller. I do have to buy the hay but my soil there is not great so thought I would give this a whirl. I keep them moist and they say that once they are flowering you can carefully reach under the straw and pull out some new pots without hurting the plant and the pots will keep growing as you enjoy your "new pots" for dinner.

:tools

Latest posts