Starting seeds in Peat Pots

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does anyone start their seeds in peat pots? I'm thinking of doing this for this season. In the past I've always planted the seeds in those aluminum trays you see in the grocery store. I'm just trying to figure out what size peat pots I'll need.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have used them in the past. They are very convenient. It makes it easier to regulate watering as you get a visual of the moisture level. I think I had the 4" round peat pots. The drawback to them for me is that they can be a bit pricey. You might be able to overcome this by buying in bulk. They are worth giving a try if you have never tried them before if for no other reason except to see if they will suit your seed starting needs. :)

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am using the 4" ones this year to start my broccoli, tomatoes, & cukes. I don't have a huge garden (yet!) so I got the ones at Walley World that are $2 for 14 of them. :)

I used them for my broc last year & they worked fine; I just set them out too late (or so I've been advised) so I didn't actually get any heads but the plants themselves were huge! Other things like lettuce & carrots I'll seed directly into the ground.

The only problem I've ever noticed is that sometimes the peat doesn't seem to "disolve" entirely, but I'm sure that was something I was doing wrong. :/

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just make sure that when you plant them out that you break down the rim of the peat pot so it's slightly below the soil line. If you don't the pot will wick moisture up and your seedlings will dry out.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I am voting no... I have never had one disintegrate after planting, as they are billed to do "magically". I save all my milk containers (waxed cardboard), cut them in half, poke a hole in the bottom. These work great. They don't dry out fast and they are very easy to peel off, when transplanting time comes. I have also taken the plants out of the milk carton, cut the bottom square off and used it as a collar around the plant.
Sometimes I come across the peat pots for free, etc. If I use them, I just take the plant out before transplant and compost the pot. JMO! Happy Gardening!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have noticed the same thing Lesa. They do not "magically" disintegrate. I just water real good and tear the bottom off of the pot when transplanting to the garden. That seems to work ok.

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
I save all my milk containers (waxed cardboard), cut them in half, poke a hole in the bottom. These work great. They don't dry out fast and they are very easy to peel off, when transplanting time comes. I have also taken the plants out of the milk carton, cut the bottom square off and used it as a collar around the plant.
That sounds like a really great idea! :D But I don't drink enough milk (maybe a 1/2 gal/month) to accumulate enough for planting. :(

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I start saving mine in December! Ask friends and family to save theirs! Other containers are good to. I like the plastic containers that lettuce comes in....

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
I start saving mine in December! Ask friends and family to save theirs! Other containers are good to. I like the plastic containers that lettuce comes in....
Oh, my BIL/SIL love me already, since I make them save all their scraps for my compost & their pickle jars for my sprouting farm! :lol:

But lesa, I gotta ask...your lettuce comes in plastic containers where you live...?? :hu Just trying to picture that...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is organic baby spinach. The container is kind of a plastic box...no other way to explain. It has a lid, which I use as a kind of mini greenhouse for germination. Works great!

Latest posts