starting wave petunias from seed

danamillette

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good morning!
I have a few questions on growing wave petunias from seed for use in a hanging basket. First question, how many seedlings would I want to plant for a 12 inch hanging basket? Second, I live in Northern Wisconsin, is it to early to start them?
Any general knowledge on these is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Dana

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Definitely not too early, more like borderline too *late* -- petunias are a pain in the patootie to start from seed, among their charming traits being that they are sloooowww.

Usually you would start them 10-12 wks before you want to set them out. If you would plant up your hanging baskets in mid-May, that would mean starting your petunia seeds in mid to late February. You can still DO them now, you just will get small late plants.

They are also a pain in the sense of having very fine dustlike seeds (hard to handle) with IME unreliable germination and they require light to germinate (don't cover the seeds with soil, meaning you have to take extra care the soil doesn't dry out during germination and early growth). I would suggest starting a lot more than you think you will need, to make sure you get SOME.

A 12-inch hanging basket could easily absorb 4 healthy full-size petunia plants, if fertilized and watered well; some people would put more in.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't have any trouble with mine, most of them sprouted. It was pelleted seed. I think I gave mine an 8 week headstart and they were small when I put them in the basket, but once they were outside they seemed happier and took off really fast. They're very pretty and very expensive if bought, so I say it's definitely worth a try. Good luck and have fun! Oh, and :welcome

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I started a bunch in Feb. They are doing great, but as Pat said make sure they don't dry out. I lost a few when I was on vacation for a week end.

They are worth the pain though! I had such pretty ones last year!

Latest posts