Starts for Transplants

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Morelle de Balbis are still no-shows today, but the tomatillos are up... they germinated in only 4 days.
The Morelle de Balbis germinated in 7-8 days, which is only one day later than my average for tomato seed of the same age (2016). A few latecomers are still popping up, but the final germination rate will be above 80%. The gardener who was my original source stated that the seed has a short storage life, and it may be shorter than tomatoes... but it still appears to be good stored dry & sealed at room temperature for 5 years.

My biggest disappointment this year for the Nightshades is Garden Huckleberry. This was new commercial seed, and so far only 5 of 18 have germinated after 9 days. Online info states that germination can take up to 2 weeks, but I germinate all Solanaceae under 75-80 F. conditions, and there are no signs of stragglers... so this may be all I get. Fortunately I only need a few plants anyway for my trial.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The Morelle de Balbis germinated in 7-8 days, which is only one day later than my average for tomato seed of the same age (2016). A few latecomers are still popping up, but the final germination rate will be above 80%. The gardener who was my original source stated that the seed has a short storage life, and it may be shorter than tomatoes... but it still appears to be good stored dry & sealed at room temperature for 5 years.

My biggest disappointment this year for the Nightshades is Garden Huckleberry. This was new commercial seed, and so far only 5 of 18 have germinated after 9 days. Online info states that germination can take up to 2 weeks, but I germinate all Solanaceae under 75-80 F. conditions, and there are no signs of stragglers... so this may be all I get. Fortunately I only need a few plants anyway for my trial.
Garden Huckleberry is one I haven't yet tried @Zeedman, though I'd like to. I've tried Sunberries (which cause some people to freak out because they look like some other deadly plant, can't recall which one) and thought they were pretty good. Problem was on any given branch you'd only get a couple ripe berries at a time. That was a pain, partly because I had only a couple plants. So, the harvest was really lengthy (starts early & finishes late), but not good for a baking recipe. Have you grown the hucks before?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good to know that tomatillos will root along the stem... proof they will benefit from being planted on their side. Mine are far behind those in the photos, I only started them 3 days ago (along with Morelle de Balbis) & expect to see them emerge in the next day or two.

I can't believe how aggressively that tomatillo rooted, by day 5 it was so furry at the end of the cutting it looked like a bleached muppet. Most aggressive rooting tendency I've seen yet. I would never have guessed they would do that, or that they could be lay planted.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Garden Huckleberry is one I haven't yet tried @Zeedman, though I'd like to. I've tried Sunberries (which cause some people to freak out because they look like some other deadly plant, can't recall which one) and thought they were pretty good. Problem was on any given branch you'd only get a couple ripe berries at a time. That was a pain, partly because I had only a couple plants. So, the harvest was really lengthy (starts early & finishes late), but not good for a baking recipe. Have you grown the hucks before?
Yes, the Sunberries closely resemble Black Nightshade... too closely for me, given that Black Nightshade is a common weed here & it would be difficult to tell them apart.

I've never grown Garden Huckleberry before, but observed it growing in one of the gardens on SSE's Heritage Farm during a September visit. The plants were remarkable, even from a distance. Most of the stout 36" plants had dropped their leaves, and the heavily-branched bushes were covered with clusters of shiny, black, 1/2-5/8" berries. It appeared that nearly all the berries were ripe, and still clung to the branches - so all or most of the berries could be harvested at the same time. Supposedly relatively tasteless, and need to be cooked... but I'm dreaming about a pie with huckleberry & ground cherry filling.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My latest tomatillo cutting, probably about 5 days old. So, there is no doubt these plants can be rooted in water, or that they have adventitious stems (in case anybody every wanted to try lay planting them or taking cuttings from plants).

20210505_212855_resized.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Went poking around today to see what transplants are left out there in the garden stores (not that I need any!) just because my quest for interesting & unique vegetable material is a little insatiable. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a tomato start with the label "Muddy Waters'! What luck! This one is Tom Wagner's creation, something that came along in his attempt to create a 'Blue Zebra'. What a find! It's got gold stripes and indigo shading. 🥰

Also was in euphoric shock to find Purple Peruvian, Purple Magic, Red Emmalie & Pink Amarosa seed potatoes! The gardening products on offer sure has changed since last year!

SO HAPPY!!!

:weee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska was talking about anticipating a good year for broccoli.

I like the early varieties that can produce buds and if the heat of summer knocks them out, that is kinda okay. Despite growing Packman for a number of years, it really surprised me in 2020. Usually, it can just survive the summer and come back with a second crop in the fall. Sometimes, about the first of August, I just pull it.

Packman has been around awhile and the seed isn't as available as it once was. Isn't that the way it goes? Probably, Packman will be caught up in nostalgia and suddenly the seed (& t-shirts, likely ;)) will be back in vogue and be sold on street corners.

:) I'm not that much of a fan and have grown several varieties. This year, it's Eastern Magic! Here's what Burpee says about them ;): "Yankees, your broccoli has landed. Bred for the northeast US and Canada, ‘Eastern Magic’ is a super-producer; high-domed 28–30" plants’ hefty blue-green crown are loaded with tangy, nutty, buttery flavor. Enjoy every which way: sautéed, roasted or steamed—or in the raw as crunchy canapes. Heat-tolerant plants perform admirably in long day length."

Ha Ha. East of the Cascades ... do you think there will be broccoli magic again for me?

Steve

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
We generally start things from cuttings, it's easier. But, we're pretty lazy gardeners. Lately, it's been bay laurel cuttings. I want a dark green vertical hedge at the top of a slope and bay laurel will do nicely. Since we've had enough rain lately, we just stick cuttings in the ground and hope they make roots. About half the time they do. If they don't, we just stick in more cuttings until they do. Totally lazy gardening. Plus I needed to prune the bay laurel anyway.

What's been in the window is a purple sweet potato to make vines. Once there's some vines, then bits of that get planted. I haven't found Molokai Sweets, which is the really dark purple and really sweet one, just the other purple sweet potato which isn't as sweet or as purple.

The front lanai window has an African violet and an orchid, but that's just to keep them out of the direct sun so they don't get sunburnt.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
With my target planting date about 10 days away, this is a hectic time for transplant starting. I went over all of my trays in preparation, cleaning them, and patching leaks with aquarium silicone. I damage some of the trays every year in the process of moving transplants, and try to salvage any that are repairable... but inevitably, I find leaks that I missed when I bottom-water the newly planted trays. :( I even have glued bamboo skewers under the tray lips to strengthen the sides, having had a few trays of transplants collapse on me while being carried.

This year, I found tray supports that greatly increase the strength of the trays, and should vastly reduce handling damage. They fit snugly under the trays, and really help the handling stability. These supports should allow me to get many more years out of my trays - and hopefully, far fewer leaks.
20230522_114004.jpg

Latest posts