stawberries?

chickhamm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I live in zone 8, Around Augusta GA, not to far from the SC border and the savanah River. I have some chicken pens, im cleaning out and tilling under. I was wanting to plant some strawberries in these 2 pens. Now, the plants would get several hours of direct sunlight but also a good bit of filtered sunlight. Is this ok? I'm just so worried, it gets sooooo HOT here in the summer and i dont want to cook the berries or plants. Ive noticed more and more people using the sun screening fabric over their plants. Last summer we had weeks of 100+ temps.

chickhamm
Theressa

chickhamm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ok..........well i found out i cant use the chicken pens, because in the winter i want to keep useing them for grow out pens. But, because of the Heat here, should i find partially shaded area for the straberries. Do those pyramid type plantings work well for long term?

Now, what would be good to plant in those coups for a season or two. They get a few hours of direct sunlight then lots of filtered sunlight.

chickhamm
Theressa

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lettuce or other greens.

I'm skeptical how much production you'd get from strawberries if they are not getting a full day of sun (tho afternoon shade, with full morning sun, could work)

Pat

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good luck! My strawberry patch gets a full day of sun and I get big berries after it rains... thing is though... we almost never reach 100 and average highs for the top of summer are in the 70's... I say put them where ever you can get them watered alot. They are shallow rooted from my experience and like moisture to make big berries.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmm. It depends a lot on the variety. There are some that aren't very sensitive to how much sunlight they will get, some that like lots of sun and can't do without, some that actually prefer partial shade. If you get the regular sort of strawberries (either seasonal or day-neutral commercial types), shouldn't be a problem. Alpine strawberries won't usually put up with hot, bright sunlight though, they prefer a little light shade and slightly cooler temps.

Seeing as how most strawberries are indeed grown in 90+F weather (California, Florida, etc.) I don't think you should worry overly about them getting cooked. Watering is more of a concern, hot soil doesn't hold water so great. Mulch well with straw.

You know what the screening is usually for? Birds. Think Alfred Hitchcock-like plagues of birds, chasing you out of your own garden. And raccoons. And possums. And deer, whole herds of them. All in your garden at once, like Noah just opened the ark door for snacky-poos. Birds so bold that they don't mind a screaming hairless monkey waving a stick at them one bit. Birds that scare the neighborhood feral cat colonies into submission. Birds that could make a Rottweiler run yelping under the porch in submission. That's what un-screened strawberries will get you.

chickhamm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ok, awsome information guys thank you so much. I'm a gardening novice for the most part. Ive done containers and small herbal gardens, but living in military housing has always put a damper on big gardens so ill be learning alot....asking alot of really dumb questions.

I read in another post that you dont get a good crop of berries till the next yr. What i was thinking of doing was putting in at least one decent size raised bed, 4ft x 16 ft approximatly, filling it with mulch, manure, soil and sand. if it does possibly get to hot for them, i can always run a cover of the shade netting to give them partial shade a small portion of the day.

ok.......question......the strawberries make runners, are these like what the spider plants do? Can i plant these in little pots to be transplanted to another bed?

chickhamm
Theressa
GA

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, just like spider plants, and yes, you sure can pot them up or transplant them. They will just be small for a couple of years.

Latest posts