Sterilizing Old Potting Soil?

VeggieNessa

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've heard of sterilizing old potting soil. Do any of you do this? How? What's the whole process?

I'm a container gardener (salad garden - tomatoes, herbs, greens, etc.) and I really don't have a lot of money to replace soil this year, plus it looks like we are going to have another cool, wet summer. :( Last year was HORRIBLE!!! I used the soil that was in the pots and it just did not turn out well at all. Had a LOT of aphids too.

What do you all suggest for a "broke" gardener? lol! :) Thanks! :)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
have heard of using a microwave to kill off everything in the soil... dw wont let me try this one.
or try solarization in black heavy duty trash bags

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Barter system !!!! good soil is foundation for plants, offer to weed flower beds or other work for good soil. Some times nursery's and big box stores sell bags that rip open at discounted price. lots of towns have free compost piles call all town halls near you and ask, only cost a phone call. And welcome !!!!!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you clean your containers in the fall, put the soil into black plastic bags and place in single layers the sun for a couple weeks to a month. Then the bags can be stacked until spring. In the spring, mix a bit of compost, perhaps some sand, and peat moss (or something to lighten and loosen the soil) and repot into containers -- bleached and cleaned well. A bit of garden fertilizer might also be a good idea, 10-10-10 is what I have used.

At the same time, do be looking for free or cheap compost, mulch, or soil.

Another idea would be to dig an area in the yard and carefully remove the sod. Dig out the fresh soil from the lawn, replace with your used soil, and replace the sod. Water well and no one will know the yard has been tampered with. You will still need to follow the "In the spring" directions above to keep the soil loose and friable for your container veggies.

Now is also the best time to start a compost pile. That will allow you to refresh your soil with compost from your own home and yard forever.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about mixing your old potting soil with a good amount of greens and browns and just reusing after 18 months of composting?

I think the microbe life would be greatly changed. Depending on your compost ingredients and amounts, the potting mix would be enriched. Additional organic fertilizer might be added. You could also add essentially sterile ingredients like peat moss and perlite.

This is what I have done.

Steve

VeggieNessa

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks all! :) I appreciate the advice. I've been a member for a while, but the last two years have been very bad for gardening. :( Thanks again. I'll post back and let you all know how things progress. :)

Latest posts