stevia?

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay I got a setvia plant this last summer but got no info with it. So here is my question are they perennial? I am in zone 5 and thought that having a sweetener plant to offset all the lugar we use would be nice.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey nightshade :frow!

Well, you may be able to learn from my mistakes with stevia . . . you'd think a "steve" would know better . . . :rolleyes:

I started a half dozen or more plants. Trying the green leaves I thought :/ , "These taste like spinach or something! Sweet spinach?"

Anyway, I now understand that the leaves are usually used dry and probably lose much of that "green" flavor. No, they absolutely can't survive a zone 5 winter. Unless, you have it indoors - then, I don't know about its 2nd season.

Steve

Lothiriel

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've read that stevia is perennial in zones 9-11 and annual elsewhere.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to plant one- bought a transplant. Had it in the ground for about a week, and the cutworms chopped it right down! So much for that idea! Good luck!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I tried stevia and it grew all right but I didn't like the taste. To me it leaves the same aftertaste you used to get from sacharine.

Emma

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm in zone 7B. I've had stevia survive some winters, and die in some winters. I will be planting stevia from seeds this year, saved from earlier years. Will see how they do. I grow mine in pots. Stevia plants seem to have the needs and vulnerabilities as mint, in my experience.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Emma said:
I'm in zone 7B. I've had stevia survive some winters, and die in some winters. I will be planting stevia from seeds this year, saved from earlier years. Will see how they do. I grow mine in pots. Stevia plants seem to have the needs and vulnerabilities as mint, in my experience.
I have had stevia survive many zone 6 winters. Then it just disappeared. I think it was just reseeding itself.

Latest posts