Stiffneck Garlic - when to pinch off?

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Our stiffneck garlic is pretty tall, maybe two feet or so, and those crazy-looking twisty scapes are fully formed with the bulb-like things on the ends. How big should I let them get before I pinch them off?

~Phyllis

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't know the answer but I have a question too, what is pinching off? We are growing garlic for the first time. I interested in this, thanks for posting this thread and I can't wait to see the answers!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cut those scapes right now and make garlic pesto!

Garlic Scape Pesto

Ingredients:
1 cup garlic scapes (about 8 or 9 scapes), top flowery part removed, cut into -inch slices
1/3 cup walnuts
cup olive oil
-1/2 cup grated parmigiano
teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste

Method:
Place scapes and walnuts in the bowl of a food processor and whiz until well combined and somewhat smooth. Slowly drizzle in oil and process until integrated. With a rubber spatula, scoop pesto out of bowl and into a mixing bowl. Add parmigiano to taste; add salt and pepper. Makes about 6 ounces of pesto. Keeps for up to one week in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

For pound short pasta such as penne, add about 2 tablespoons of pesto to cooked pasta and stir until pasta is well coated.
I

I've got more garlic scape recipes if anyone wants them!

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes PLEASE more garlic scape recipes!

I'm not that fond of them on their own, but that pesto sounds pretty good, I might try it tonight.