Still snow here ( for all you hot folks! )

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today DH and I headed north to do our annual "Walk-up-the-middle-of -the-Pack". I noticed on the road up that there was still some snow on the peaks above. I guess it's not real unusual that there would still be snow up there in July. But usually it's gone when we take our slog. Those peaks are around 7000' I believe.

We got to the bridge where we always park and climbed down to the river. It was about a foot higher than it usually is when we walk it,
and running fast, so because we do this for fun, and getting swept off our feet in the deep portions and rolled around in boulders isn't so much fun at our age, we decided to goof around on the edge and come back again in a month when the water is lower.

We could have walked up it in the shallower water on the river edge, but this is walking up the middle of the Pack and it just wouldn't be the same.

I didn't take my camera because I get soaked, but these pictures were taken a few years ago on May 31 and there's about 50% less snow on the peaks. The river today was not this high either.

7504_pack_river_may_31_09001.jpg

7504_pack_river_may_31_09010.jpg
]

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Heh, still snow on the peaks here too, of course! I took the dogs to the flathead river yesterday, and decided its still running a little too high for us to get the canoe out yet. I love canoeing, but i'm pretty cautious! Of course it can be dangerous even when the water is low, but i'm more familiar with the river when its lower, and the water may get slightly warmer!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
baymule said:
Ahem........I have snow too!! It's the frosty stuff in the freezer! :lol:
Yeah, but this time mine's bigger!
You may have all the bigger snow! I will hug my air conditioner, keep the electric company in business $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and wear dark glasses when I look out the window! :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
thistlebloom said:
baymule said:
Ahem........I have snow too!! It's the frosty stuff in the freezer! :lol:
Yeah, but this time mine's bigger!
You may have all the bigger snow! I will hug my air conditioner, keep the electric company in business $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and wear dark glasses when I look out the window! :lol:
Thank you ma'am, I will gladly take it!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I saw a that Heather had responded, I thought we'd get a detailed report from Glacier National Park (& why not ;)).

Then, I'd have to rise to the defense of the Selkirks thru which the Pack River flows by pointing out, "Yeah, but they are older than the Rockies!" Ain't that something? Older than the hills . . . Of course, the Rockies aren't exactly hills.

The Selkirks are kinda worn-down, too. I guess I like that :p.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kinda like the Ozarks. They are worn down to rolling hills. I think the highest point in MO is Taum Sauk Mountain, at only 1772 feet. No snow there. :rolleyes:

Latest posts