Still some promise

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still looks good to me, Carol. This time in the summer is when I have lost a lot of control. Grass and weeds have taken over some areas (especially where I didn't mulch), some things have died out, some have gone to seed, and some have been lost to pests. Yours looks pretty good compared to mine right now, but I'm still getting some good production. We still get fresh veggies for supper every night and I'll still harvest a bunch of stuff.

So Lucky, my Blue Lake pole beans have just kicked in right now. I'll probably get my first canning of them this Saturday. The bush beans have been going strong but this is about the time of year the Blue Lake pole normally hit peak production for me. It has been a strange year though, cooler than normal spells an enough rain to keep the grass green.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should have @Nyboy respond. I went on too long about Portuguese kale soup and he sent me something with a "this is what real soup has for greens." ;)

Here's what Wikipedia has to say: "Escarole, or broad-leaved, endive (var latifolia) has broad, pale green leaves and is less bitter than the other varieties. Varieties or names include broad-leaved endive, Bavarian endive, Batavian endive, grumolo, scarola, and scarole. It is eaten like other greens, sauteed, chopped into soups and stews, or as part of a green salad."

Good stuff and a variation on my brassica theme.

:) Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looking great! I love a table full of tomatoes!

Given how the weathers been It's good yo see so many ripe tomatoes in the Midwest.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol I will send you some seeds spring time. my mother made a great soup with it.
Aww :hugs thanks Nyboy, So far the only greens we have are spinach, leaf lettuce and kale. We have dandelions around and bets but have not used the greens. PM me for my address when you want to send them. Send a recipe, too if you think about it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Es Carol e is also good in stir-fry.

You can use my "formula" - which isn't very imaginative. Veggies, a little broth, on the starch (rice) = stir-fry. Veggies, a little broth, with the starch = casserole. Veggies, lots of broth, with a little starch = soup.

;) Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I ate my first Marconi pepper yesterday. I was pleased with it; nice thick walls for a pepper grown around here (by me, anyway) and about 6" long, fairly sweet. I used it in some red beans and rice. I saved the seeds, intending to dry and plant next year. The yellow mini peppers I did that last year are producing true to parent, even though I figured they were a hybrid (package of mixed minis from the grocery store) They aren't quite as good as the Marconi, tho. Over all, except for the tomato fiasco, the rest of the garden has produced pretty well, with quite a bit yet coming on. The pole beans appear to be ready to produce for a long time.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Love red beans & rice! Now I'm craving it!!!

Interesting the mini peppers produced true to form. Are they productive?

I looked into growing them but didn't because I didn't think Id have enough uses for them.