Storage!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has begun.

The refrigerator in the carport can no longer be trusted to not FREEZE whatever is inside. Be aware of this, if your outdoor fridge is nice and cold inside and the air around that refrigerator drops 10 degrees below freezing - you have just frozen everything inside!

So, THREE 48 qt coolers are now stuffed with garden veggies in the utility room. They would have been okay outside on the deck overnight but it's right at freezing out there. Can't trust all those heads of bok choy and cabbage to that risk.

There is no clamp dug in the backyard somewhere with the carrots, parsnips and celery root in it this Winter. Things were a little out-of-hand the Winter of 2021-22 with so many harvested. We ate 2021 carrots well into Summer, this year. So, the root veggies are in the coolers, also. Ugh ... Heavy but spread out between the three.

Spuds and squash are in the basement. Onions are in the garage. I'd like to leave them there awhile but the chance our outdoor temps may be dropping into the teens soon makes me doubt if I'll consider the onions safe. Shallots have always stayed in garage but the garlic was taken down from hanging under the carport roof and are in a basket in the utility room. Sheesh! Makes one wonder how there is room for 2 humans and Garbanzo the Dog ...

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Makes one wonder how there is room for 2 humans and Garbanzo the Dog ...

i'm envious of anyone who has enough cool storage space. once the garage becomes unreliable i can bring in some things and store them by the front door for a while, but generally after bringing anything in i plan to get it baked and then frozen or preserved in some other fashion. most of the time that means i store it as fat around my abdomen. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a matter of transportation, @flowerbug .

I will watch the outdoor temperature and soon move the coolers back outside. They come back in during the evening as of right now. In a couple of days, they may only be outside for a few hours.

I don't remember ever having messed up and allowing things to freeze. The coolers moderate temps but it is a process of in and out, in and out, in and ... 🙄

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Preservation. AlTHOUGH between DD's and my house we have a combined 35 cu ft of chest freezer space,1/2 of which is now exclusively meat, 5 of which is 2021 okra, I am primarily a canner. No electricity needed, nothing goes bad, plenty of storage space in the pantry.
@digitS' , sounds like you've got a lot of eating to do.

Latest posts