Storing potatoes

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You don't want potatoes in your attic. That is slightly cool, dry storage, great for onions and pumpkins. I have pumpkins in my attic from last september that are still good.

You want cold (or cool) moist storage for potatoes. 80% humidity, close to freezing is what I read. But that is never happening here, we are lucky to have it over 40% humidity here, even in our dirt floor basement. I will be putting mine in buckets (solid sides hold in moisture) and spraying water on the dirt floor.

mrkep

Sprout
Reaction score
Last year (2009) I dug 2 1/2 bushels of red skins. Let them dry for 2 days, and put them in boxes I made, 2' square-screen for top & bottom, and put them in the crawl space. By Easter they had sprouts 2 ft long, and were very wrinkly, not edible. I have a de-humidifier in the crawl space so maybe it was too dry? Should I cover the top of the boxes this year to keep the humidity in?

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess I'll never be able to do what you all are talking about.. Way too warm here in the Los Angeles area besides not having a basement.. IF I were to dig a basement say 10' below grade I still don't think the temps would be cool enough during the summer when it's ~100F

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
mrkep said:
Last year (2009) I dug 2 1/2 bushels of red skins. Let them dry for 2 days, and put them in boxes I made, 2' square-screen for top & bottom, and put them in the crawl space. By Easter they had sprouts 2 ft long, and were very wrinkly, not edible. I have a de-humidifier in the crawl space so maybe it was too dry? Should I cover the top of the boxes this year to keep the humidity in?
It sounds like maybe they were too warm.

Latest posts