Storing Receipes in Binders

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have two 3" binders for receipes that I have torn out of magazines, printed off the internet or photocopied from cookbooks. I used to have these arranged by salads, vegetable dishes, main course, desserts, etc. I always found it difficult (and time consuming) to locate receipes that matched what was ready in my garden.

So, I re-arranged by cookbook binders by tabs for what I have in my garden. I have a tomato tab, bean tab, potato, corn, carrot tab, etc.
I will have carrot cake and carrot soup in the same section, so when my carrots are ready to harvest, all the receipes are in one spot. My tomato tab has tomato soup, pasta sauce, tomato paste, baked with cheese, etc. Everything for tomatos in one spot.

You may already do this, but this simple arrangement has made a big difference in locating appropriate receipes for whatever is ready to harvest on a daily basis. So, I pass this along.

greycoop

Sprout
Reaction score
Fantastic idea. I have a binder too, but not organized well at all.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DD, that is a good idea. I don't organize it by what's in the garden, tho. Our harvest season is only for 5 months at the longest. I organize mine the way you used to.

I do take it a step further and put everything in those clear page protectors. If I get flour, butter, etc. on it, I can just wipe it off.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
punkin said:
I do take it a step further and put everything in those clear page protectors. If I get flour, butter, etc. on it, I can just wipe it off.
LOL, if I did that how would I ever remember which are the recipes I use the most? ;)

Pat

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
punkin said:
LOL, if I did that how would I ever remember which are the recipes I use the most? ;)

Pat
They would be the ones you can't find because you took them out to hang on the fridge so you wouldn't have to lift that big binder back up onto that shelf above the stove again because you forgot how long you are supposed to bake it at 350 degrees. :rolleyes:

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
punkin said:
They would be the ones you can't find because you took them out to hang on the fridge so you wouldn't have to lift that big binder back up onto that shelf above the stove again because you forgot how long you are supposed to bake it at 350 degrees. :rolleyes:
I thought they were the ones that were covered in grease spatter, mysterious brown spots, with the ink illegibly blurred on the most important note?

What's this "putting away" stuff? Also, are countertops supposed to crunch? :lol:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Also, are countertops supposed to crunch?
I find that mice take care of that problem pretty well, and then cats take care of the mice. The circle of life!

(Actually in our house the cats don't so much 'take care of' the mice as eat them temporarily and then yorp them up on the kitchen floor -- we call it "mouse bounce" -- but the floor is vinyl and easy to clean, so it's all ok :p)

Pat

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I had that problem yesterday morning, except it was by a dog and could have been a mouse. :rolleyes:

Latest posts