storing the harvest of seeds?!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i tried last year to put up a greenhouse using the Schedule 40 PVC pipes but that didn't work well. so now i have lots of pipes left over from that. i decided i would cut them down and try to re-purpose them somehow. i finally figured out what i would do.....use them to store away my dry seeds i've amassed over the many years of collecting. (too many tomato varieties to mention, i just got 25 new types this past week :hide )

has anyone else used PVC containers to store seeds away? how well have they worked? i figure these containers would be difficult for rodents to chew into due to their thickness. i can write on them, attach a tag on the outside, or place inside the tube with the seeds a description what it contains.

i have mostly 3/4" pipes and a couple 1/2" that i'll use for this. for larger seeds like beans & corn i'll be using a 3" pipe we had left over from another project.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cool, that's a really good idea for long term or survival type storage. :thumbsup Are they waterproof too? If you can put them in the freezer, or at least a cool, dark, dry place, you'll get even longer viability out of them.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah i remember the lidded containers for film. i come across a couple in my old crafting supplies. when M&M's used to make the mini's they put them in a tube which my mom used to keep for quarters and buttons. i wish they still packed them like that & sold them still. if you have a lot of prescriptions those bottles are ok. but they could let in air/moisture so i chose to not use those.

i bought 1/2 gram desiccant packets to put in each tube to help keep any moisture out. these packets can be recharged/reused if needed. i'll take a wooden dowel & a thin cloth to clean out the tubes before i put any seeds in them.

i'm getting the end caps that just slide on the ends. i was going to put a male adapter and a threaded cap for the opposite end but that would just defeat the cost savings since the threaded cap is so expensive vs the non threaded cap.

now i just need to figure out how long i want to cut each tube. i figure the 1/2" tubes cut about 6-8" would be good for tomato, pepper & eggplant seeds since they don't take up much space and they produce enough seeds each year that i don't need to hoard......er....store a lot unless i plan on selling the excess. it all really depends on how much of each type of seed i want to keep on hand.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can buy those film containers, pill bottles and others online.

Those small pipes should have end fittings in the store. Glue one end closed, the other open.
Store out of the sun, though. Unless you bought uv resistant piping.
Mice and rats can chew through them, so check them every now and again for grease, chew marks, nesting material and such.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was afraid rodents could do damage. i haven't had any issues with rodents in my current supply but i did a few years ago when i bought some seeds and forgot i put them somewhere other than with my normal stash.

i have a small antique wardrobe that i was planning on stockpiling with the tubes. i keep it in the front stair area so the tubes won't be exposed to too much light in there. i have yet to use the wardrobe for it's original intent since it is small and was probably used in a child's room.

here's what it looks like. sorry i can't seem to get the pics to rotate & save that way.this was a pic when we first found it hiding in what is now my laundry room.
IM000494.JPG IM000493.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love that little wardrobe! That's a perfect seed storage place.
I have a medium sized one that I bought at a bargain 35 years ago. It currently houses all the stuff the neighbor kids like to play with when they come over.