Strange Cucumber

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ths is my first summer trying to grow vegetables, I did it half heartedly,I picked up some cell packes from home depot, planted and forgot. They got water when the flowers where watered. I found 1 cucumber that grew, it is covered with thorns I have never seen a supermarket cucumber with thorns, this one kind of looks like a sex toy. Is this normal?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahahaha. Many cukes have slight thorns. They just brush off. In the old days the supermarkets probably just brushed them off. Now many types are thornless. The stores sell special varieties that are easy to handle and keep a long time. How did it taste? I have never been one who could get tons of cukes though successful with everything else. Now I use the old standby Marketmore with good results. Home Depot carries good seed at a great price. Can't go wrong with Burpee.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not concerned with how cukes look, but with how they taste. Was it yummy?

Most of the cukes I've grown have had small 'thorny' things on their skin -- easy to brush off when picking. You probably DON'T have a new toy, just a successful growing adventure.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
No photo? Maybe it is a cucumber_______________, not necessarily a cucumber cucumber. I expect what everyone else expects, that it is a real cucumber, but you never know.

Cucumbers do have small thorns or spikes on them. If you wash them in water and scrub them gently they should come right off. I use a brush in water to get them off before making pickles but Im scrubbing dirt and other things of too.

The plant also has a lot of hairs in it. I wear long sleeves when harvesting cukes and still itch like crazy. Washing it off with soap and water doesnt always provide instant relief. I dont know if Im allergic to those hairs or if others experience the same. Okras worse, tomatoes are not quite so bad but still noticeable.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Haha, try it Nyboy, you might like it! I mean eating it, you sickos...

My muncher cukes have tiny almost nonexistant thorns that wash off, but the plants do irritate my skin for a short time if i poke around much. But do i remember to wear gloves, noooooo...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look under it to see if it says made in china

:lol:

Someone help me up. I fell off my chair.

mumbles sump'n about how hard the floor is...

Latest posts