Strange Spider Plant Growth

Lady Slipper Lover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was working on my Spider Plants today and I realized that my second to biggest/oldest Spider Plant had a growth that was similar to a shoot, but was much thicker than what the shoots usually are. Also, it had leaves on the end, and I don't remember it ever blooming. I just moved this plant to a new, bigger pot a little over a month ago. (The plant has grown faster during that time than it's been growing too, which is odd, though not really what I'm curious about.)

20230907_104453.jpg

It appears like a shoot is starting out of this thick growth, which looks to be more normal sized.
20230907_104635.jpg

Things I've been doing differently with this plant as far as recently is I've been watering it more often and when I moved it to a bigger pot, I used a different indoor plant soil from what I've been using, which the new soil is Miracle Gro.

farmerjan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My spider plants have put out some of the same kind of "thicker than normal" shoots... some put out normal flowers and baby plants.. so I can't tell you what the reasoning is. I have over 30 potted from baby plants last year and some of them are already putting out shoots with baby plants... I hang them on a couple lengths of chains suspended from limb to limb under my big old maple tree and they do wonderful in the summer under the branches with some early morning coming up sun, and some late afternoon going down sun.... wandering jews and a couple other ones have really flourished with this treatment...
I also have several different kinds...leaves with normal center white stripe, white on the outside edge with green center, solid green and a curly leafed one with normal white center stripe... always looking for different varieties ... just because...

Hoping to sell some this fall ; when I dig potatoes and go to a local farmers market to sell some of the different varieties that I grew this year...

The da#@ed deer and ground hogs don't eat the potato plants so I grew alot... 15 different varieties..... but only tried a couple pounds of each so have about a 10-20 ft row of each according to how many eyes the seed potatoes yielded to cut and plant...... for fun and to hopefully make back the costs and give me potatoes to eat and just for the fun of trying different kinds... I have made notes on how fast they came up, how long the plants stayed green; with having early, mid and late season varieties.... with this dry weather they have mostly all died back now... and will weigh and keep each variety separate to be able to offer different ones for sale... see what the yield is on each kind... and try some taste tests to see if I like any "better" than any others...
Will make some decisions which to grow again next year, and try some others offered... more fun than just the 2-4 varieties offered at the local stores... which yes, I did grow some "normal Red Pontiacs" also....
Grew several varieties of fingerlings... great for boiling as new potatoes early in the season....

Lady Slipper Lover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My spider plants have put out some of the same kind of "thicker than normal" shoots... some put out normal flowers and baby plants.. so I can't tell you what the reasoning is. I have over 30 potted from baby plants last year and some of them are already putting out shoots with baby plants... I hang them on a couple lengths of chains suspended from limb to limb under my big old maple tree and they do wonderful in the summer under the branches with some early morning coming up sun, and some late afternoon going down sun.... wandering jews and a couple other ones have really flourished with this treatment...
I also have several different kinds...leaves with normal center white stripe, white on the outside edge with green center, solid green and a curly leafed one with normal white center stripe... always looking for different varieties ... just because...

Hoping to sell some this fall ; when I dig potatoes and go to a local farmers market to sell some of the different varieties that I grew this year...

The da#@ed deer and ground hogs don't eat the potato plants so I grew alot... 15 different varieties..... but only tried a couple pounds of each so have about a 10-20 ft row of each according to how many eyes the seed potatoes yielded to cut and plant...... for fun and to hopefully make back the costs and give me potatoes to eat and just for the fun of trying different kinds... I have made notes on how fast they came up, how long the plants stayed green; with having early, mid and late season varieties.... with this dry weather they have mostly all died back now... and will weigh and keep each variety separate to be able to offer different ones for sale... see what the yield is on each kind... and try some taste tests to see if I like any "better" than any others...
Will make some decisions which to grow again next year, and try some others offered... more fun than just the 2-4 varieties offered at the local stores... which yes, I did grow some "normal Red Pontiacs" also....
Grew several varieties of fingerlings... great for boiling as new potatoes early in the season....
So the much thicker shoot is normal? I've only had the mother to this plant for almost two years now, and I haven't seen anything like this yet. On this plant, it had a baby when I originally clipped it at the end of last year. I recently clipped it's baby because it was nearly as big as it and the shoot didn't look that healthy. I just potted the baby and so far, the baby seems to be doing well. I don't really have a lot of Spider Plant experience and these plants are my longest lasting ones, so a shoot that size is new to me.

Off subject, but do you know what your varieties are called? I only have the all green leafed kind, but I would like to get some other varieties if I can. Also, do you have pictures of these different varieties?

Lady Slipper Lover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This photo in Wikipedia for Chlorophytum comosum

kind of matches, don't you think? Pretty!

435px-2006-12-09Chlorophytum07-03.jpg
That is the flower that I get on the mother plant to this plant. I see they typically bloom first, then start producing the babies and leaves. On this plant, I didn't see the flower before the leaves started growing on that shoot, which I find odd.

Latest posts