Straw

orloff

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I wasnt sure where to post this but what are the benefits of putting straw over your plants such as lettuce, onions, ect?

Thanks

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wouldn't put it over them. That would cut off the light, but tucking it around them keeps the soil cool and moist at the surface, while at the same time helping to smother weeds. By the end of the season your straw will be pretty well broken down and can be turned under to form humus for the next years crop.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've been using straw for the past couple of years in our boxes. We have a total of about 20 boxes and we mulch them pretty heavily once the plants take hold and before the heat comes on. We also mulched our corn this year but I wish I'd done the same to the okra. The corn was grass and weed free but the okra was overrun with grass. Next year. We've cleaned out several of the boxes where we grew beans, peas, greens, potatoes, kale, etc. and covered them back up with a thick bed of straw to keep the weeds out until we plant our fall garden. Looking forward to planting again. I like fall gardening better. You grow out of the heat into the cool and out of the bugs and critters into a lot less hassle. The last couple of years we had romaine lettuce all the way up until Thanksgiving. And we cut the last of the collards in mid-February. Yep, fall gardening is my favorite time.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your avatar reminds me of Hoggle from the Labyrynth, one of my favorite movies.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Your avatar reminds me of Hoggle from the Labyrynth, one of my favorite movies.
Then that would be Hoggle. Also a favorite little movie of mine too. I though Bowie did a great job as well as Jennifer Connelly. But Jim Henson & Co were the real stars! Amazing stuff they created from fake fur, cardboard and sticks!

And I've seen your avatar too but I just can't place it.

Latest posts