strawberries and blackberries

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Will strawberries coexist with blackberries? I have a great lil patch of blackberries though about puttiing my strawberry plants with them

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine trying to reach through blackberry canes to pick strawberries. Of course all of my blackberries are wild and thorny.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Most of the blacberry branches are being tied to a trellis....thought about the strawberries being in a circle around it....

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't see why not. Except that the barries might send up new growth in the strawberry patch.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have an answer to your strawberry/blackberry question, Naughty. Just an observation on blackberries and raspberries.

It is as tho' they "go after" the raspberries.

The neighbor put in some blackberries about 15 years ago. There were dozens of raspberries nearby. There is 1 raspberry now! Difficult to believe since raspberries spread. Of course, I don't let them spread into my vegetable garden. The last raspberry is against a post. There are 2 blackberry vines that grew tall and have dropped over, directly on that raspberry plant!! Its days are numbered. Blackberries don't even like it here all that well.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Naughty said:
Will strawberries coexist with blackberries? I have a great lil patch of blackberries though about puttiing my strawberry plants with them
I have a strawberry patch next to blackberries and they grow under and past the blackberries just fine. I have some with raspberries too. I bought raspberry canes from a lady and planted them and there were some strawberry crowns in the dirt I guess because I never planted any in that area and they are spreading.

Latest posts