strawberry-like plant

chickNjake

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum but I'm a member of Backyardchickens but I'm wondering what this plant is. I found it outside of my house at the edge of the woods in full to partial sun. It's about 3 inches tall at most and has three leaves on long stems and clusters of very strawberry-like fruits on separate stems. and especially, Can I eat it!?
Thanks! :D
flars016.jpg
flars017.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
chickNjake said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum but I'm a member of Backyardchickens but I'm wondering what this plant is. I found it outside of my house at the edge of the woods in full to partial sun. It's about 3 inches tall at most and has three leaves on long stems and clusters of very strawberry-like fruits on separate stems. and especially, Can I eat it!?
Thanks! :D
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348/chicken-jake/flars016.jpghttp://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348/chicken-jake/flars017.jpg
I've seen those before, they grow wild in the woods, their Wild Strawberry. Not sure if you could eat them or not, rather be safe than sorry.

chickNjake

Sprout
Reaction score
YAY!!!! :D and you're sure? everyone else think they're ok?
Thanks Jewels19!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your pic looks exactly like wild strawberry (very yummy) to me. There are a few somewhat lookalikes, some of which are fairly tasty and at least one of which is kind of 'pleh!' tasteless, but I am pretty positive there is nothing actually poisonous in the strawberry clan. Which that plant definitely is in. And as I say, to me it looks precisely like a yummy wild strawberry.

Have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yes... these grow here too at the edge of the woods... YUMMY (if you can beat the birds to them.)!!!!!

chickNjake

Sprout
Reaction score
I went out to field kinda tentative and I smelled one up close and... I think I ate about 20! :lol: they are definitely better than any store-bought strawberries I've ever had! :D
Thanks guys! :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are considered a delicacy & are very expensive to buy. I first saw them growing wild in the woods around Oslo, Norway when I was working there. They make wonderful pastries with wild strawberries as the filling on top of a kind of custard cream, flavoured with vanilla -- YUMMY! :D

Here in the UK we can buy seeds of them so can grow them in our gardens. Unfortunately my chickens ate mine............!! :barnie

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts