Strawberry Re-planting

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had a bright idea to put the strawberries in a spot that gets afternoon shade. I believe this was not a good idea. The plants look great but they have produced no strawberries, where the 2 plants I put in hanging baskets has made some. I would like to dig up the plants and move to another bed. I need the when and how part and how to overwinter them in their bed.

Thanks, Melissa

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Me, too. I put everbearers in a 4x8 bed, and while I did get strawberries, there is a *reason* why commercial growers put them in rows. I need to move them to much narrower beds for next year.

So... is now a good time to dig them up and move them?

-Wendy

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's a picture after I planted them this spring, but you can see the board to the right of the picture. This board blocks the sun after 2 PM. The plants fill this little 2x2 box and I want to put them in a 2x6 box in a different location.

6832_garden2_013.jpg

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think you could move them now... make sure they are at the correct depth mulch with straw before frost but cover deeply with straw after frost...

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have several months until frost. We usually don't see a mild frost until November.

Latest posts