Strawberrys

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I put in 50 plants this year and I am just pinching the flowers and not letting them berry, well ok maybe I let just a couple go so I could have a taste ;) I don't know if more needs to be done than that or not :idunno. Oh I also side dress with compost :rainbow-sun

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
COgirl said:
I put in 50 plants this year and I am just pinching the flowers and not letting them berry, well ok maybe I let just a couple go so I could have a taste ;) I don't know if more needs to be done than that or not :idunno. Oh I also side dress with compost :rainbow-sun
How come you are not letting them berry? Is there a benifit? I am sure there has to be or you wouldnt be denying yourself berryies, huh?

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've read that the first year you should pinch them back so they will put all their energy into root growth and not fruit production, sounded reasoniable to me so I'm giving it a shot. :rainbow-sun

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We pinched PART of ours back...let some go... I went out and cut all the runners when they started that as well. I have everbearing berries going right now... so they are just starting their second round right now. I picked the first ripe one today... it was SUPER sweet and fantastic... more so then they few I let go the first round.

It does make a difference.

Latest posts