Strong Smell Might Be Horse

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must have been feeling in a cowboy mood, I bought a leather Duster off ebay for winter rain coat. Seller claimed leather in good shape no tears or stains. Seller does not do returns. I paid almost $200 for coat. It came today, it smells so bad I haven't even tried it on. I don't want to spend another $100 to have dry cleaned only to find it still smells. This is one of the biggest mistakes I made on ebay. How do horse people clean their saddles? Do you ever get them odor free.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A saddle doesn't need to be oder free NYboy. You don't wear it, the horse does.

Is your duster suede or smooth? If it's smooth you can wipe it down with some warm water and a little dish soap, then dry well, apply a little saddle dressing and hang in an airy spot outdoors or garage and hope it smells better.
Take my advice with a bit of caution, I have never cleaned a coat, only horse tack. But I kept all of my leather in good shape, and my saddles always looked well cared for even after more than 20 years of use.
If somebody rode in the coat you may never get that sweaty horse aroma out of it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Being a vintage clothing dealer for 20 years, I can feel your pain! Letting something hang outside in the sunshine for a few days, can usually make a difference. I am more often dealing with "moldy" smells, not animal- but fresh air can make a huge difference. If you try the soap and water and the hanging, and you have a slight odor left- that might be the time to invest in dry cleaning. I can almost guarantee taking it to the cleaners, when it reeks won't help enough to make it worthwhile.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh dear! Shades of Seinfeld's BO car. I wish I had so words of wisdom, but alas! I don't know what you can do. I do know that fresh air will heal a multitude of sins. Don't hang the coat in the sun or you might change the color as well.

You might check out Fabreze. I believe they have some product that removes odors rather than covering them up with flowers or spice.

1. Try air freshening.
2. Try Fabreze.
3. Try the Cleaners.
4. Try leaving the coat in your car and getting the whole interior detailed?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course horses sweat! Big, white, lathery gobs of sweat collect on a horse that's been ridden too hard or in too much heat. That's why you so often see cowboys 'walking' their horses after a ride. The walking allows the horse to cool off in a slow and more natural state just as runners are supposed to walk around a bit to cool down after a race.

Then you get out the brush and curry comb and have at the sweet smelling cayuse until the horse is smiling and the pelt is shining.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
For sale cheap
DSCF0419.JPG
DSCF0420.JPG