Strwberries are planted! pic added!!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our order of strawberry plants came on friday , so we planted them today. The spot we planted them in was a pond I built in our backyard a bout 10 years ago. Last year we stopped using it because it was adding about $60.00 per month to our power bill! so I drained it cut the liner and underlayment out and filled it with soil. Now DW has 25 strawberry plants so shes happy.
cant find the pic so I will find it and put it on.

7254_garden.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Collector said:
Our order of strawberry plants came on friday , so we planted them today. The spot we planted them in was a pond I built in our backyard a bout 10 years ago. Last year we stopped using it because it was adding about $60.00 per month to our power bill! so I drained it cut the liner and underlayment out and filled it with soil. Now DW has 25 strawberry plants so shes happy.
cant find the pic so I will find it and put it on.
Collector,
I think me and you are in the same situation :lol: . I used to have a pond too like you and got rid of it because of raccoons demolishing it at night. I'm going to make a nice strawberry bed right where the pond used to be. Years ago after I got rid of the pond liner I backfilled with garden soil where the huge hole used to be for the pond. I do miss the pond maybe one day I can have another one.

Good Luck with your strawberries!! ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very creative Collector! :D I like your strawberry pond, nice stonework too.( You could plant some trailing sedums in the rock basins to mimic water flowing...)

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had same issue, so have been looking into solar pumps for ponds. One that would run a small one is 35.00, and for my larger one 75.00. Both are w/o shipping and handling. I love that strawberry pond Collector. You'll have the prettiest patch around, with that fancy stonework! What variety did you plant?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greenthumb, I was wondering what to do with it also. We were not going to operate it this year so this seemed like a good idea for the space.

Thistle, strawberry pond, we like it my wife is already calling it that. Trailing seedum, good idea we only have stone crop at this time will be checking into it though.

Motherb, I never even thought about solar pumps. The pump we had pumped 2,000 gal per hour and the cost was out of control. The berry plants were called eversweet.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, that is real attractive, Collector.

My new Quinault strawberries around a tree in the backyard, hardly compare! I know you didn't set out to put so much into a strawberry planter but the result is a pleasant addition, peaceful to look at and should be a tasty delight going forward! What do we call this . . . excellent re-purposing?

Steve

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
very nice!
i love my strawberry bed, but i think i would trade it for a pond. i didnt know they are so costly.

i use straw in my bed to keep the weeds down, have you thought of anything to help with that? oh and by using straw it gives the berries a place to sit and ripen off the dirt.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Digit, really wouldn't have done that much work for a strawberry patch . It did workout great though.

Chills, We were using a Little Giant pump that moved about 2000 gallons an hour. There are six waterfalls that came down I to the pond, it took alot of water moving to keep them going. This morning I noticed that our cat has decided that it makes a nice litter box with all the fresh dirt. We will have to do something about it, maybe straw mulch will work!
Journey, thank you for the compliment, we think it looks nice also!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those darn cats! Mine frustrate me to death sometimes with their "litterboxing" in my beds. And I even provide them with a large, clean litter box in "their" shed. :rant

One thing I've done that works well, at least in my perennial beds, is to mulch with pine cones. They don't walk on them. I even use the smaller, less prickly fir cones and so far it's working. I started putting the cones around my planted -on- purpose trees because the cats use every vertical wood surface as a scratching post and they were really damaging the young bark.

That might not really work in a strawberry patch though. :hu

Latest posts