Stuffed Winter Squash

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of you probably already know that I'm not much of a cook but I can put together some bread stuffing mixed with cooked sausage, stuff and bake a winter squash. Well, I thought I could do a little more than that this time ;).

There are lots of winter squash and some of questionable maturity so, there is a need to continue to make good use of them, short and long-term.

Also, I have to move them out of the garage by this weekend. We have single digitS' - forecast as morning lows next week! The squash will freeze in the garage so . . . I have to pack them off one way or another. This was just a real good way of doing it :p!

Anyway, I came across a vegetarian recipe from westerngardeners.com and used Uncle Ben's wild rice mix and cashews & walnuts chopped fine instead of the sunflower seeds.

Honestly, I was searching for a can of black-eyed peas to use rather than the red kidney beans. I think that would have been a good choice but my stuffed Cha Cha Kabocha turned out real good as it was :)!

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds delish! So, you used winter squash and what do you stuff- just the little hole where the seeds are? Personally, I like your sausage idea! Gotta try that!
I like to bake the entire squash wrapped in aluminum foil. Then cut in half when done and scoop out the seeds. (precooked for the chickens!) I run it through the food processor so it is all nice and smooth- doesn't hurt to add a little maple syrup and butter... This makes it very easy to freeze and have ready in a snap, when you don't feel like baking from scratch.
I used up all of ours that was "questionable" and now I have a couple shelves full in the basement. Will do a couple for Thanksgiving for sure.
I always wanted to do the stuffed pumpkin for Thanksgiving. Would make a great centerpiece...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, comfort food!

I had Kuribo Kabocha up until a few days ago. Kitazawa sells them as an individual size choice but they had very large seed cavities for such a small size. In other words, they had very little meat to them.

Still, I suspect they would have been useful stuffed. I was happy with this other Cucurbita maxima: Cha Cha.

I get a little aggravated at the buttercups that I've grown for decades. The "button" on them can sometimes be very large.

I've tried other Kabocha's but Cha Cha looks like it may be a winner for my garden. No buttercup button! But, I need to determine how well they matured and can stand up to storage. Usually, I feel compelled to use up all the winter squash by Christmas. They can sometimes last longer but often fail.

These round C. maxima squashes look pretty good on a holiday table. Yeah, the sausage stuffing is tasty. Chili instead of just red beans was another idea! I bet that would have been good with the rice and veggie mix ;).

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That does sound good! Seems like all I ever make from mine is soup (which we love, but it would be nice to add some variety). Winter squash are so good for you too, if you don't load them up with too much butter and brown sugar! ;)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dang, I can't grow squash and winter squash is so expensive in the store! But all this talk sounds delish!

Latest posts