Stupid question about grafting fruit trees

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If I want to graft an apple sprig, do I have to use an apple tree root stock to do it?

Or can I use another variety of tree for the root stock?

For example, can I make my cherry tree grow a branch of apples?

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
First of all - there are no stupid questions.

As far as grafting - I know you need similar - peaches can be grafted on plum stock from what I heard. So I wonder if apples can be grafted on pears? I think cherry and apple may be too different seedwise but I could be out to lunch. :idunno

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most apples are grafted to crabapple aren't they? ETA: Just read the article, so yep.

This is something I would love to try my hand at someday. It just looks fun and how cool would it be to succeed! I already beg cuttings from everything else...ha.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Most apples are grafted to crabapple aren't they? ETA: Just read the article, so yep.

This is something I would love to try my hand at someday. It just looks fun and how cool would it be to succeed! I already beg cuttings from everything else...ha.
Well jouney you could start off small and graft a tomato to a potato root stock.

Chris

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Other than apple the only thing I can think of is quince but that's usually grafted with the apple as rootstock instead of the other way round.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
journey11 said:

It does sound really cool. And cheap!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know nothing about graphing yet :/ (However, that just means it something else I will get interested in and try. :happy_flower )

But I wanted to say there are no stupid questions here!!!! ;)

Latest posts