Successful Fruit Tree Pruning!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Gotta thank you ALL for your advice. After reading here, and studying up, I finally got my DH to help me do some serious pruning. All of my younger fruit trees, the 2 Montmorency Cherries, the Spiced Pear, the ??? Red Apple and the really old Peach tree look really good after the cutting. There was very little dead wood on any of these, and I followed the rules: no more than 25% New wood, lop off straight vertical limbs, or at least the top of them, cut off dead wood, prune to lower and try to cut the limbs at the trunk. I used my reciprocating saw bc it plugs in.
My poor old Golden Delicious apple tree is now less than 1/2 of what it was in 2011, but I have never pruned it before, so I'm sure it needed it. I'm sure the drought didn't help it. The one big limb that looked like it wanted to split had a 4 inch rotten spot where we cut it off. It was about 10 inches in diameter. Two of the smaller limbs were almost completely dead and yesterday I spotted the top of another limb that needs to come off this weekend. The temperature has cooperated. It's been a very cool Spring. None of any of my trees--I have over 50 trees, counting the evergreens, and flowering trees and bushes--has begun to leaf out, so there isn't a bug issue. I'm attacking them like you do when you need to trim back your dog's really long nails, take some now, and take some later meaning NEXT year. The only other fruit trees to prune are the Bartlett Pear (3 years old), and GD Apple (2012 purchase), and Peach (2012 purchase), and another GD apple tree (it belong to the horses since I re-fenced in 2008). THAT one can be pruned from the ground bc it partially fell over with the previous owner, then grew upwards.
Btw, I've been making tomato stakes out of the pruning leftovers. :p
Anybody want pictures?

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes! Pictures are always good. :D

Congratulations on your pruning. I bet your trees will love you for it! Then, you can share pictures of the bounty of produce you get!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Previous owner bought a bunch of blue spruce and Norway Spruce for abou $1/tree. He planted them on the borders of the South Pasture, and there are over 30 trees. They were about 4 ft tall when we moved there in 2000. They are now about 25-30 ft tall, and make a great wind break.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course, we want pictures! Wow, how cool that those evergreens turned out so huge... I planted a bunch of tiny ones and years later, they are still tiny!!

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mind sharing some good images with us.. It would be really appreciated.

Latest posts