Such Weirdness Doesn't Run in Your Family

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, your post reminded me of an old Dagwood and Blondie cartoon.

As soon as Dagwood gets home, Blondie tells him to hurry; they are running late for a dinner theyve been invited to. Blondie is doing something, maybe putting her make-up on, so her back is turned to him. Dagwood say he was unaware and Blondie says she definitely told him. So Dagwood leaves to get ready. After he is out of hearing range, Blondie (still with her back turned) tells him about another dinner date they have with another couple in a few days.

Ive experienced similar with my wife. Shell tell me something that needs to be done so I leave to do it. I can sometimes tell she is still talking as I leave. When I hear this I go back to see if it was anything I really needed to know, but there are times that Im convinced she thought I was around when I wasnt. This is usually when she is cooking or doing something that requires her eyesight but not total concentration.

And there are times when her mind is on something else that she just doesnt hear what I say, even when I get a grunt back in the right place. Shes just concentrating on something and not really paying attention. I try to pay attention when shes talking but Im sure I do it too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Facebook time? I wonder if they aren't somewhat desperately searching for something interesting . . .

I went from history to anthropology, Ridgerunner. My first interest was bones. As soon as I was working at a museum I realized that it was "objects" that was the most important to those folks. I was trying to transport myself back. On a dig, the charcoal from a burned structure held as much interest to me as a shaped stone. Putting me in charge of a collection was something of a mistake since the emphasis was on the objects. I could hardly care less. Missing a chance to be a part of Old Sturbridge Village was kind of dumb but young people make mistakes.

Linguists helped me with the language part and, luckily, living people found me. They told me who they were and what they thought about things. I had a childlike interest that was, from childhood, much more about observation than participation. I thrived until I became too immersed in desperate situations.

An interest can take you down paths to where the unimagined is at hand.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
An interest can take you down paths to where the unimagined is at hand.
You got that right. Its bad, I want to know about something I can spend hours looking into it. If I have an idea or a thought I throw myself into the research part of it. I often get sent on "research projects" by my wife. She'll mention that she wants to know about something so "Go look it up since your so good at it". Its awful but its how I do it. Even if its to look it up and figure out that my idea is a bad one, or there's a better way to do ____ I look into it.

I think people get lazy honestly. They figure they'll just go ask when they can do their own research instead and form their own conclusions. Instead I think too often people just want to hear what works for the majority of folks out there and they just do that "because it worked for ____ and _____". I really believe that. Or maybe they are afraid of failure. I don't know. Im not afraid to fail. You can learn a lot in failing sometimes even more than if you succeed early in an attempt at something. I'm not afraid to make a mistake either. The only time its a problem is when you fail to learn from a mistake.

Latest posts