Sucker on the base of a fig tree..

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've got a fig tree in the front yard that we planted last year and it's about 4 1/2 feet high.. I noticed the other day a sucker that's growing at the base of the tree and is about 4-5" tall already. I'm under the impression I should remove it and I'm also under the impression I can grow another tree from it..

If I want to grow this as a separate tree, do I need any of that stuff
you put on cuttings to stimulate growth or can I just pop it into a pot
and keep it watered?

thx!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
RickF said:
We've got a fig tree in the front yard that we planted last year and it's about 4 1/2 feet high.. I noticed the other day a sucker that's growing at the base of the tree and is about 4-5" tall already. I'm under the impression I should remove it and I'm also under the impression I can grow another tree from it..

If I want to grow this as a separate tree, do I need any of that stuff
you put on cuttings to stimulate growth or can I just pop it into a pot
and keep it watered?

thx!
;) If you want to get another tree from that sucker, I would try to put some soil around the bottom of the sucker, wait until it grows roots then you can safely cut it away from the parent tree and plant it.

Hope this helps!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fig suckers root quite easily. Rootone helps but isn't absolutely necessay. Have a pot full of planting soil already wet when you cut it. Breaking it away at the base is better than cuttting if it will break away easily. If you wait too long to plant it in the pot the milky sap forms a skin over the end of the cut that interferes with it taking up water. Just keep the pot watered and put it in open shade and it should root in 2 weeks to a month. When it begins growing leaves you know it has rooted.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks.. In this case it already has leaves.. In fact it has more leaves than the rest of the tree, hence my interest in removing it.. The rest of the tree is just starting to set buds out but this sucker has full-sized leaves.. Go figure.. I'll give it a shot with a wet pot standing by.. Thx!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You may want to snip the large leaves off at the stem to keep it from losing water faster than it can take it up unless you luck out and it comes away with some roots on it.

Latest posts