Sugar in the Garden

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picked up my coffee grounds yesterday at Dunkin Donuts, and when I pored them out one bucket had sugar in it. Con sugar harm the soil?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where did you put it, on living plants?

Sugar will rot (or compost if you prefer that term) over time. I don't know how long that takes but probably not real long in your climate and this time of year. I don't know if it is a brown or a green. It will probably attract certain insects, bees and flies for example, especially when it gets wet. I don't know your specific circumstances but off the top of my head I can't think of any real downside.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sugar is a great thing. Pure carbon.

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's on top of the sheet mulch, and not much of it, but I have more. Hopefully it melts before the bugs come out. I guess I literally have some "sweet" soil now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some people put molasses in the soil.

I was startled when I learned that a few years ago. I'm not sure how common it is to use molasses. It wasn't real expensive many years ago when we used it in silage but it seems like it would be real "short-term" as a fertilizer.

Well anyway, I can imagine that it would boost microbe life and should encourage those critters to utilize other nutrients, nearby. When they die, those nutrients would become available as plant food.

Mauldingardener, my guess is that your sugared mulch will decompose quickly.

Steve

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, I watered my lettuce today and while down there I hosed down the sugar, it went away quickly. So, no worries.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No worries that you can see, but are those Earth worms in your soil at risk of developing diabetes?

Probably not a worry. I do suspect there are a host of micro-organisims whooping it up for joy at the increase of sucrose in their food supply.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Milk is high in available carbon. Great on tomatoes if you fight blossom end rot.