Sugar snap peas

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is my first year growing these, anyone have suggestions on how to cook, can or freeze these?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My strategy, the couple times I've grown them, is to excitedly harvest the first few servings' worth when they're still in the tiny sort of snow pea like stage... then accidentally forget about them til they have most all arrived at the 'shell them and eat them as fresh green peas' stage. Although even at that stage, the pods can still be boiled up in a curry.

I make no claim this is a GOOD way to utilize sugar snaps, it's just what always seems to happen to me :p

Pat

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
My strategy, the couple times I've grown them, is to excitedly harvest the first few servings' worth when they're still in the tiny sort of snow pea like stage... then accidentally forget about them til they have most all arrived at the 'shell them and eat them as fresh green peas' stage. Although even at that stage, the pods can still be boiled up in a curry.

I make no claim this is a GOOD way to utilize sugar snaps, it's just what always seems to happen to me :p

Pat
Me too!

Or I tried to blanch them and then freeze them. Not good. After thawing, they were limp and totally unappealing.

Just eat 'em all when they're small. Remember all the starving children in France and eat your veggies when they're fresh!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've blanched them for about 2 minutes in boiling water, then submerge them in ice water to cool. Then freeze promptly.

This seems to work. They are usually pretty good when they come back out.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine rarely made it to the house....and if they did, not all the way to the kitchen. ; )

CountryGirl, I really never did like to put them up, we enjoyed them so much fresh. I have canned them in stew, but my favorite way to eat them was lightly cooked, and dh liked them with sone butter. They are also good cooked with pearl onions.

Do try some right out of the pod when you pick them, though. They should be sweet! :)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I eat the majority of them fresh, pod and all, in salads. I also use them in Chinese stirfry's. I add them pretty close to the end so they don't overcook.

I can't see them being very good when canned, other than for a stew, or soup perhaps. I don't think the fellow who hybridized them had that, or freezing, in mind.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I freeze mine the same way Oakland does to put in Stews and stir fry. I also cook a few. To cook them I use a little bit of garlic cooking spray to keep them from sticking to the pan. When I get them good and hot I add a little bit of italian dressing for flavor. We like them and the chickens like the left overs!