Suggest another plant for me, please.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, I have all but talked myself into the dynamite crepe myrtle.

Provided I find one that's not pinkish tinted but RED, it'll be perfect. Right height, easily shaped/controlled, should take the drought and heat extremely well, will bloom all summer, and will leave enough sunlight below that I can still plant underneath it.

I'm not normally a big fan of crepe myrtles, but this red is absolutely beautiful. (The business across the street has some in their landscaping that I've been admiring for years.) The picture is not theirs, but one I found online.

3756605422_ef9ab16f03.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Keep it pruned tree style and you'll have a gorgeous canopy!

But if you want some drama SOON... look to be paying $250-$400 for a large mature version of that color! I saw a 20' one at the nursery here in purple last year, it was $800!

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I did some calling around yesterday and found a 6' one at a small, local, family owned nursery for $65.00.

Lowe's tells me they'll get some in stock in a few more weeks, but the guy I talked to yesterday didn't know whether there would be any dynamites in the shipment or not.

In looking online, they do seem to be VERY expensive. I didn't know if it was just the red ones or if all crepe myrtles are that expensive.

Wow.

But I think that's what is going to fit the bill perfectly for this spot.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah Amy, trees are expensive :/ , but at least it's pretty much a one time deal. Just wanted to insert my .02 about where you buy it. I would go with the small family operated nursery over Lowes any day.
You'll find them much better educated about the plants they sell and more helpful in the long run, plus your supporting a local business. Just my opinion...

eta- That price is not out of line for a 6' tree.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah, the guy I talked to yesterday actually asked me questions about the location, what I wanted it to accomplish, growing conditions, etc.

Like he actually CARED to sell me something that would do well and that I'd be pleased with.

Would you believe that??? :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't it nice to get genuine customer service? :) The small nursery will be more interested in making sure you get what you want and that you're happy with it.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
I did some calling around yesterday and found a 6' one at a small, local, family owned nursery for $65.00.
Just be careful that you choose a well-grown plant (not just healthy roots, but also good aboveground architecture) -- height is easiliy made up for, but poor branching structure will be with you for a long time, maybe forever.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts