Suggestions for naturally short trees?

honeybee

Sprout
Reaction score
Presently, I have two maple trees in front of my house, and I really want to get rid of them (tired of my gutters clogging, the volunteer seedlings all over, plus one has the power line & cable line running through it) and replace with trees that are naturally height limiting (I'm thinking something in the vicinity of 15 to 20 feet tall--I'd like them to be shorter than the lines). The location is in the space between the sidewalk and road, so I'd like something relatively vertical, and probably not a fruit tree. I like dogwoods, but they're probably pretty impractical.

This is on the morning side of the house (pretty well shaded in the pm by the house itself) and I live in the 6a zone, urban-ish (the town I live in is pop around 16k). We tend to have extremes, like last year was a drought, this year has been pretty rainy (to the point that I had standing water in the yard and there were streets closed for water covering the entire road during one rainfall that dropped 5 inches in 48 hrs--that is unusual).

I'd prefer trees that are non-evergreen, I'm fairly new to keeping up a yard, so I don't know what else might be relevant.

Any suggestions?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would recommend a redbud tree. They shed their leaves in the fall, and before growing in new leaves in the spring, they are covered with tiny purplish flowers. Found a picture for you!

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/E...bud+trees&utm_term=redbud tree&utm_creative=e

http://www.redbudtree.org/

And another favorite of mine is the Grancy Graybeard tree. It stays small and puts on a show in the spring.

https://www.gardenerdirect.com/buy-...-Greybeard-Fringe-Tree-Chionanthus-virginicus

http://www.abnativeplants.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=115

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just going to say redbud too! They have a lot of visual interest year-round. And you can prune them into a nice graceful shape.

I like the pink dogwoods.

Mimosa are very pretty, but a bit messy.

I will try to think of some others...

Oh, and btw... :welcome :frow

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a lovely decorative pear tree that is used a lot in landscaping that does not get too large. I don't remember the name but it is pretty common in your zone. It does have a rank smell however when in bloom.
honeybee said:
Presently, I have two maple trees in front of my house, and I really want to get rid of them (tired of my gutters clogging, the volunteer seedlings all over, plus one has the power line & cable line running through it) and replace with trees that are naturally height limiting (I'm thinking something in the vicinity of 15 to 20 feet tall--I'd like them to be shorter than the lines). The location is in the space between the sidewalk and road, so I'd like something relatively vertical, and probably not a fruit tree. I like dogwoods, but they're probably pretty impractical.

This is on the morning side of the house (pretty well shaded in the pm by the house itself) and I live in the 6a zone, urban-ish (the town I live in is pop around 16k). We tend to have extremes, like last year was a drought, this year has been pretty rainy (to the point that I had standing water in the yard and there were streets closed for water covering the entire road during one rainfall that dropped 5 inches in 48 hrs--that is unusual).

I'd prefer trees that are non-evergreen, I'm fairly new to keeping up a yard, so I don't know what else might be relevant.

Any suggestions?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, I have an ornamental pear- and it is one of my favorite trees! The spring blooms are lovely, and the fall color is fabulous. It is one of the first to bloom and the last to lose its leaves. I bought it at Home Depot, and I think it just said "ornamental pear" on the tag....I never noticed a fragrance one way or the other. Good suggestion!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, my first thought was Crepe Myrtle but they are not good for zone 6. They are iffy in zone 7.

A crab apple would be messy but might be something youd like. They are beautiful when they bloom.

You might check out ornamental plums. It depends on the cultivar, but some have purple leaves and I think they are striking.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome

Have you thought about the Japanese Maple? There are 2 in front of my church and their leaves are really dark purple all summer - instant shade just to look at them.
Very interesting trees.