Suggestions for Newbie please

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some idea of what vegetables to plant at this time of year.

I believe our climate is similar to that of South Florida.

I am going to try some potatoes, only becuase I have a few sprouting.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Probably warm season crops like beans, okra, tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, potatoes, corn, peppers, summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, and tomatillo.

How's that for a start?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well thank you. That's certainly a good start, some of the things I have been thinking may grow here at this time of year.

But when you come from a colder, wet climate (England), it's very hard to get your hard round planting tomatos and melons in September.:lol:

Thanks.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Warthog said:
But when you come from a colder, wet climate (England), it's very hard to get your hard round planting tomatos and melons in September.:lol:
I agree! I moved from up in the mountains (10,000 feet with a growing season of two months in between freezes!) to the desert where it is hot all summer and the winter is about like summer felt in the mountains. It's a lot different; instead of taking a break from gardening in the winter, I think here it is better to take a break during the summer and garden all winter.

What is the coldest you usually get in the winter? If you don't get frost at all, you could probably grow just about anything, I'd think. (except maybe peppers because they like it really hot)

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Coldest months here are December and January, but usually still in the 70's, although that said last year it got to a very cold 52 Brrrrrrrrrrrr. Wooly hats and sweaters for us. :lol:

Temperature usually highs at maybe about 92, but the humidity can be a killer getting in the 80's sometimes.

We have several Mennoite communities here who grow most of the vegetables, and quite a limited variety. Come this time of year most if not all are imported from Mexico, or the US and are quite expensive. All the more reason to grow my own.

So I think the answer is to watch what others on this forum are planting and when and try, if it fails then try something else.:happy_flower

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, then, with those temperatures, you've got a lot of choices. I think pretty much most things will do fine. Some things like Brussels sprouts do taste better after a frost, but they should still grow.

I wouldn't have expected there are that many Mennonites in Belize. Interesting.

rockinrobyn29

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm a newbie too but we're growing squash in our garden right now (it's usually pretty warm in my area) and it seems to really be doing great. But you gotta watch out with squash - those vines love to go all over the place and take over! Very beautiful, though :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Warthog, Are there any nurserys close by. If you do, they should be stocking things that will grow in your area and in the right time of year. If not, I would plant everything and see what grows!

Good luck and welcome!

Mary

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ariel 301 - Memmonites a plenty they came here about 50 years ago, and believe me without them Belize would starve.

Rockinrobyn29 - Oh I love squash, that is something I must try.

Ninnymary - nurseries, what are they:lol: No we don't have them here, there are one or two places I can buy a few plants(flowers). Even seeds can be difficult to get here. I brought a lot of seeds with me from England, but so many of them will be out of date by now. But as you say I am going to try everything and see what works.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What seeds are you looking for, and how much would it cost to send ya some in Belize?

Latest posts